Subject: Why isn't "Marvel" in the game title? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is driving me nuts. Why is the game named "Legendary" instead of something like "Marvel Legendary"? Is Upper Deck hoping to pull in other IPs? (Sort of like VS System?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
This is driving me nuts. Why is the game named "Legendary" instead of something like "Marvel Legendary"? Is Upper Deck hoping to pull in other IPs? (Sort of like VS System?)

Yeah it is confusing!

That would seem like more reason to put marvel. Like Marvel Legendary or Legendary: Marvel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:

I would not be surprised if this was the case..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were several iterations of the title, one of which was Marvel Legends as well Marvel Legendary. Ultimately, Marvel approved "Legendary:A Marvel Deck Building Game".

As far as other IP's, this game uses the "Legendary" game engine, wouldn't it be fun if there were other games that use that engine in the future? Would you be able to combine games? Muhahahahaha! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
So we might see something between now and the next Marvel expansion in August? Perhaps with a different IP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
As far as other IP's, this game uses the "Legendary" game engine, wouldn't it be fun if there were other games that use that engine in the future?

Yeah, that makes sense from Upper Deck's perspective. But I'm surprised that Marvel agreed to play 2nd fiddle on the title just to allow Upper Deck to pursue other licenses for the system. I guess it's win/win for both companies though. I'm just not used to hearing about Marvel being submissive with licensing agreements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Brenzor wrote:
There were several iterations of the title, one of which was Marvel Legends as well Marvel Legendary. Ultimately, Marvel approved "Legendary:A Marvel Deck Building Game".

As far as other IP's, this game uses the "Legendary" game engine, wouldn't it be fun if there were other games that use that engine in the future? Would you be able to combine games? Muhahahahaha! devil

Capcom before DC please

I want a Viewtiful Joe card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thankful there isn't a subtitle to the game. I think Fantasy Flight has used them enough for the entire industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

*quickly checks card backs* No, no. There's a Marvel logo on the back of the cards, which means the system won't be universal like Vs. Even if you make more games with the engine, they won't be compatible.

Whew. You scared the crap out of me for a bit there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. I mean, it wouldn't be any worse than mixing together the original Munchkin and Munchkin Fu, or Killer Bunnies and any of the expansions (I know, bad game examples, but they're the only ones I can think of that have a compatible system with differing card backs). Worst case scenario, it'll tell you which hero/villain set the cards come from - and that's easily fixed by adding some basic colored sleeves to the game. Of course, if they change up the iconography, that's another matter entirely, but we were just talking about the card backs.

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

Okay, first, I'm astonished that I can get an official response in under 10 minutes on Thanksgiving morning. Wow. (Although part of me wonders if that's really a good thing.)

Second, if there's a subtitle, why isn't it listed in the entry here? When I first heard about the game a few months ago, I just knew about it as the Marvel deck builder. But searching for Marvel doesn't bring it up. It's sitting at the top of the hotness right now, but if you don't already know that it's tied to Marvel, you're not going to make that connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
Not necessarily. I mean, it wouldn't be any worse than mixing together the original Munchkin and Munchkin Fu, or Killer Bunnies and any of the expansions (I know, bad game examples, but they're the only ones I can think of that have a compatible system with differing card backs). Worst case scenario, it'll tell you which hero/villain set the cards come from - and that's easily fixed by adding some basic colored sleeves to the game. Of course, if they change up the iconography, that's another matter entirely, but we were just talking about the card backs.

Right?

1. Last time UDE made a universal system, all the card backs were identical so all releases would work together.

2. Munchkin is kind of... the "special" kid in the corner of card games. It doesn't have to follow the rules like everyone else, it just makes up its own rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I know what licensed IP (from a hugely popular MMO, you know the one) I'd like to see an Upper Deck game of based on the Legendary system but Cryptozoic already got that license away from them for their own DBG...

Though I guess respecting IP laws has never stopped Upper Deck from doing what they wanted before. (Oh snap!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:

Now you have me dreaming of a Dark Horse expansion with a Buffy hero!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
Capcom before DC please

This is exactly what I have been thinking about. I am waiting to buy this game until I see some Marvel vs. Capcom! If not official, then at least some fan-made stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer it like this.

If you have any overlapping interest in Marvel comics, super hero card games, board gaming and/or deck builders - you'll make the connection pretty quick. And I think "Legendary" has much more flavor than some genericly titled superhero deckbuilding game... *cough*DC*cough*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.