Subject: Playing Dominion differantly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing Dominion alot I was wondering if anyone has experience in playing Dominion the Ascension: Deckbuilding Game way?

The idea is to shuffle 2 of each of the 25 action cards with the Treasure cards (10x each)and Victory cards (10x each) to form a draw deck. Then place five cards open in the centre from that deck to form the cards that can be bought. After each players turn replace bought card(s) with new ones from the draw deck. Starting hand cards are the same and gameplay is the same as in the regular game.

The main differance is that not all the differant cards will be available every turn. Anyone else tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That could be tolerable (but still somewhat dull) if you shuffled up just the Kingdom cards. Otherwise, that would totally break the game because it would entirely depend on who got to 8 first, and then got lucky enough to have Provinces flipped up. You could also end up in stalls where the entire board has nothing cheap and nobody has the money to buy anything, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thats true. Any ideas on how to fix that stall problem? Also need a definate game end trigger..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always have the money piles, and some basic victory cards available (I'd probably leave all the Victory piles).

I think people have tried it, and well nobody seems to write about how amazing it is, take that as you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
Always have the money piles, and some basic victory cards available (I'd probably leave all the Victory piles).

I think people have tried it, and well nobody seems to write about how amazing it is, take that as you will.
I assumed that the $$ piles are always available, just like how Mystics and HI were always available in Asc.

Also, unlike regular Dom., I'd gander far few people tried it this way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of just replacing the bought cards could you not discard all 5 cards (or however many are left) and draw 5 new ones, re-shuffling the discard pile once the deck is depleted.

That way you would constantly have a choice of 5 cards, which would be different every turn, but wouldn't cause the game to stall on high cost/rubbish cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spudnic
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I know this is an older thread, but I just asked this same question in a different (wrong) thread. I played DC Comics Deck Builder last night and wondered if Dominion could be played the same way. I liked how the choice of what to buy was limited and random instead of all laid out at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
spudnic wrote:
I know this is an older thread, but I just asked this same question in a different (wrong) thread. I played DC Comics Deck Builder last night and wondered if Dominion could be played the same way. I liked how the choice of what to buy was limited and random instead of all laid out at once.

It would be playable that way but I don't know that it would be fun. Part of the charm of Dominion is building combos and synergy with your cards. Much of that would be lost if you couldn't plan your strategy out in advance.

If I want to play a game this way, I would just play Ascension: Deckbuilding Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spudnic
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Thanks! I will check that one out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.