Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've read all the articles and still am not clear on how ties are scored

Specifically, I have no idea how to parse the following sentence found in the English rules:
Quote:
"If several players tie, the points for the respective places are shared"

Can someone spell out the general formula that applies to all scoring situations?

Most examples I've read only show what happens for a two-way tie for 1st. What happens in a three-way tie? And what happens when you have a clear 1st place and a tie for 2nd?

I'm confused soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only a few possible combinations. Say the 3 values for 1st/2nd/3rd are A/B/C.

2-way tie for 1st: (A+B)/2, (A+B)/2, C
n-way tie for 1st: (A+B+C)/n, (A+B+C)/n, etc...

2-way tie for 2nd: A, (B+C)/2, (B+C)/2
n-way tie for 2nd: A, (B+C)/n, (B+C)/n, etc...

2-way tie for 3rd: A, B, C/2, C/2
n-way tie for 3rd: A, B, C/n, C/n, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I concur with what Jim has said. (I had posted my own response but stupidly forgot that the top three places score).

Finally, if there are two tied for 1st and n-tied for third you get:

(A+B)/2, (A+B)/2, C/n, C/n...etc

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, forgot that possibility. I've never played with more than 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you!!! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the divisions rounded downwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that when three people tie for first they split the first place scoring (rounded down), but what happens to the fourth person who also has that color tile in his Alhambra...does he get all the points for second place? Therefore, he could get more points than each of the three of the people ahead of him in that color tile. If this is correct I won tonight but dont feel as if I should have, but the rule dont state differently, unless I am mis-reading them. Any help please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When three players tie for the first place, the points for 1st 2nd and 3rd place are first summed [A+B+C], then divided by three [= number of plyers that ties], then rounded down.

eg 3rd scoring round for red buildings. 3 players have 2 buildings, player 4 has 1 red building.
Players 1-2-3 get INT((17+9+2)/3) = 9
INT = Integer function
Player 4 score 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luk Van Baelen wrote:
When three players tie for the first place, the points for 1st 2nd and 3rd place are first summed [A+B+C], then divided by three [= number of plyers that ties], then rounded down.

eg 3rd scoring round for red buildings. 3 players have 2 buildings, player 4 has 1 red building.
Players 1-2-3 get INT((17+9+2)/3) = 9
INT = Integer function
Player 4 score 0

AHHH got it. I did not figure that out from reading the rule but that makes sence. So that last two games I played were scored wrong, guess i did not really win last night after all. Thanks Luk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cristofani
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
I've read all the articles and still am not clear on how ties are scored

Specifically, I have no idea how to parse the following sentence found in the English rules:
Quote:
"If several players tie, the points for the respective places are shared"

Can someone spell out the general formula that applies to all scoring situations?

If anyone is still wanting one formula rather than a set of them:

A player who has at least one tile of color c in her Alhambra, but has fewer such tiles than m players do, and exactly as many such tiles as n players (including herself) do, during scoring round r, will get
floor((sigma i = 1 to n (score(r, c, m+i)))/n) points for color c in round r.

This assumes that the function score(round, color, place) gives values from the scoring tables, or zero where no value is listed in the printed tables; score(3, purple, 1) = 21, for instance, and score(1, red, 5) = 0.

"floor" as usual means "round to the nearest integer not exceeding the original value" and "sigma" means summation: compute values of the expression based on all integer values of the specified variable (in this case i) in the stated range (1 to n), and then add all the results together.

Edit: may as well add the one-tile minimum explicitly here too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain this with words and examples rather than confusing looking "formulas"? Us laymen just want to know who won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She did. You know it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a safe conclusion. Haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JefferyHunt wrote:
Can anyone explain this with words and examples rather than confusing looking "formulas"? Us laymen just want to know who won.

Example A: If two people tie for most buildings of a particular colour, you add the points for first and second, and divide by two, rounding down. Each of those two players gets that many points.

If it's in the third scoring round, there are points for third place as well. Whoever had the next most buildings of that colour after those two came third, so they get the points for third place. Of course, there might be a tie for third place, in which case all those tied players divide the points for third place among them equally, rounding down.

Example B: If three people tie for most buildings of a particular colour, you add the points for first, second and third, and divide by three, rounding down. Each of those three players gets that many points.

Example C: If four people tie for most buildings of a particular colour, you add the points for first, second and third (because there are no points for fourth), and divide by four, rounding down. Each of those four players gets that many points.

Example D: if one person has the most buildings of a particular colour but two are tied for second, you add the points for second and third and divide by two, rounding down. Each of those two players gets that many points.

Obviously if there are two or more people tied for most buildings in the first scoring round, or if there are three or more people tied for most buildings in the second scoring round, they just share whatever points are available. And so on.

There. Clear as mud?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's jsut like class reuslts in school

You get

1st=
1st=
then
3rd

Not
1st=
1st=
then
2nd

or

1st=
1st=
1st=
then
4th

not

1st=
1st=
1st=
then
2nd or 3rd or 4th

You can also (at the end, say) get

1st
2nd=
2nd=

where 1st gets the 1st place points and the two 2nd= share the sum of the 2nd & 3rd places.

Cough.

Im hope that helps. A bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.