United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendly Local Games, of course!

But, more seriously, MTG for sure - if only to pay the bills, and I'd want to have a separate gaming room, with tables that can be used, and a vending machine.

And then I'd look to stock as wide a range of board, card, traditional, and role-playing games as I can could possibly squeeze into whatever space I had.

Possibly minis too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Cambridge would be a great place for a decent shop like that. Student heaven!..... And we all know how much disposable cash THEY have!

Maybe locate the shop right next to a favourite student bar....heheh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually carry in my cell phone and my wallet and keys. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Cambridge would be a great place for a decent shop like that. Student heaven!..... And we all know how much disposable cash THEY have!

Maybe locate the shop right next to a favourite student bar....heheh

Indeed. For as long as I've lived here (nearly 20 years) there has always (maybe apart from one or two very short spells between one closing and another opening) at least one games shop in Cambridge (and for quite some time there were two (catering for slightly different but still overlapping customer bases) in fact there may still be two, but I've not even walked past where the more 'traditional games' shop might still be for ages, so I'm not sure).

The only downside is that the majority of the land in the City Centre is owned by the University and they have a tendency to charge exorbitant rent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 1911a1 in .45ACP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the gathering for profit
A stock room in the back so that I can have an Internet presence
Playing area for people to have game meet ups
Know your product, be a bgg junkie so that you can offer recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd wish for good games rather than only what sells. Eventually with a hint of the new (but only good) games to since people are more likely to buy new.

But on the other hand I wouldn't buy them at a LGS anyway because they are too expensive so well. I don't know. Cookies and tables?

FLGS - Now with no games! (Well, guess you can have games. Not just for sale. Only for people to play while consuming other services.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Model paint. The only reason I've ever been into Games Workshop.

Ideally, run painting tutorials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
As little as possible. I'd have employees to do all the heavy lifting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was my FLGS, then fewer designer games that you might expect, more games that people actually buy. Remember that it is a shop - which means you want to carry chess, go, draughts, snakes and ladders, monopoly, risk, CCGs, so on and so forth.

I would love to have a big store, put in a few games tables and vending machines (well away from the paying customers!) with cheap lockable cupboards for hire and a cheap pick up service for those die hards ordering their cheap fix from the OLGS (to at least get them in the store). But at the end of the day I wouldnt expect to make as much out of them as other customers; and mostly consider it as good word of mouth marketing to get their more occassional friends and relatives in when buying gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Alcohol. Large tables. Open, bright spaces, and a solid air filtration system so it won't smell so awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a terrific 3-D printer. Or,. since I think they print fairly slowly, many of them.

The one that makes this isn't good enough but is an indication of how things are changing.
http://www.shapeways.com/gallery#mg

We also need a future where this is cost effective. We aren't there, either.

Then I want to cut deals with game designers. Send me the pattern to your game design. If somebody wants to buy one of your games, I'll just print one up. We can stop sending any money to the distributors and publishers. More money for us.

Only problem is, by the time this gets feasible, will everybody have a fab in their own house?

When this revolution happens, if it does, won't society be different. And people thought that the Internet was disruptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have a TV, like how bars play sports games, playing through all of the TableTop episodes, and have all of those games in stock nearby. Along with a lot of table space for game demos. And an iPad with a lot of board game apps installed, and the corresponding games nearby. Basically, I'd want to expose the customer to the item pre-purchase as much as possible so that they'll really consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best things I've seen in an FLGS was a little tv that had demos in rotation installed in the game shelves, surrounded by the games being demoed.

I'd love to see HABA games on the shelves along with some of the really wonderful boardgames made by Days of Wonder, Rio Grande, Fantasy Flight, Gameswright, Z-Man, GMT and I'm sure I've leaving off other publishers but you get the gist.

I don't really have a reason other than that is what I'd like to buy. I'd love to have another place to buy HABA games other than Amazon.

Sometimes when I'm buying a game or two for me, I'd like to pick something up for the kids. Our last game store which recently closed would carry Microbes (plush germs), science kits, puzzles, finger puppets, bacon and zombie themed novelties, and other fun little things for the kids. It was cool.

They also carried some of the traditional games like Monopoly and chutes and ladders but ended up discounting them out because they couldn't compete and the games ended up taking up shelf space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
A 1911a1 in .45ACP

A pity your FLGS isn't so F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Personally I'd wish for good games rather than only what sells. Eventually with a hint of the new (but only good) games to since people are more likely to buy new.

But on the other hand I wouldn't buy them at a LGS anyway because they are too expensive so well. I don't know. Cookies and tables?

FLGS - Now with no games! (Well, guess you can have games. Not just for sale. Only for people to play while consuming other services.)

This is a big FLGS problem, especially here in Sweden where the cost of running a business is much higher than in the US and other places.

There has to be something with high turnover and high margins that can help to subsidize the margin level of the games, so that you can come close to the price point of OLGSs. You also have to have something extra that makes people want to go there and support you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.