David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to July when we receive our copy of Moongha invaders including the new two player game (NOT variant).

To satiate my appetite I headed over to tree frogs website to download the files. This is my first PnP but I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Below is the game set up ready to play.

This was our second game and it took us 45 mins.

I was playing my 9 year old son who was playing the heroes. I was the monsters.

Well I must say it felt like a classic game as we traded blow for blow. Ranged combat and close combat were used to good effect.

The heroes seem to have early movement advantage but as I trimmed my deck down by discarding cards of deceased monsters the battle seemed to swing in my favour but then an air strike was successfully called to finish off Moogre and we were then down to one piece each. I had Mechoor and my son had Billy.

He cleverly hid on the corner of the building and took pot shots at me with his SMG as my Heat ray proved ineffective with the -2 modifier for shooting at a character in a building. In hind sight I should have pulled back out of range with my Ray firing 8 squares but I only needed one hit to win. My impatience was punished as my son successfully hit me 3 times in his last round to do the 6 damage to destroy me and win the game.

The heroes B team won and saved Manhattan.

Great fun and unusually very ameritrash for a Wallace game.

Looking forward to revenge next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
morti wrote:

MW has never been shy of using dice in his games so is there anything else in this that pushes it into the Ameritrash camp (as well as the plastic figures it will ship withcool)?

I assume this will also require it's own game listing on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
morti wrote:

MW has never been shy of using dice in his games so is there anything else in this that pushes it into the Ameritrash camp (as well as the plastic figures it will ship withcool)?

I assume this will also require it's own game listing on BGG.

Obviously it oozes a very trashie theme. Although it is card driven actions having two big pictures of the figures affected feels more trashie than iconic/complex wording you see on Euro cards.

The board is a grid for movement much like robo rally boards. Picking up weapons is great. Also the way the dice are used is very Ameritrash unlike many Wallace games. Its just 7+ to hit with ranged weapons and roll more than your opponent for close combat. Both can be modified. Very different to the dice mechanisms seen in Struggle of empires or Perikles.

Overall in just feels fun and not your usual treefrog brain burner.

I would say its more tactical than strategic which helps the theme too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did submit it for its own listing. I would like to record my own plays but it's pending approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like it's similar to the dice mechanisms in Way Out West, Byzantium, and After the Flood.

Thanks for this great write up, nice to hear it works well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.