Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Dragon Hobby
http://reddragonhobby.blogspot.com/
http://www.red-dragon-hobbies.com/

Located east of Flint and north on M-15, in scenic Otisville is one of the oldest gaming stores in the region. Red Dragon Hobby.

Funny story, a friend of mine back in high school... this must have been in 1993 or 1994 was just getting into this new amazing card game Magic: The Gathering and was very excited about it. Anyway, I decided to go on this little road trip way up M-15 to this amazing game store so he could buy some. I wound up buying Nuclear Escalation and I think some dice or something.

Anyway, years later on one of my families after-church drives I decided to take my kids to see if it was still there. It was not. After searching around the internet it seems like about a decade or so ago they moved locations and now have an even bigger space.

What makes Red Dragon special is that they have been around for a long time and they know (and carry) all the games. The building has several tables for play. One table even has a Battle Tech map built right in. And it's free to come and play. Several RPG groups still do.

An entire row of the store shelves is dedicated to boardgames including many Euros, Ameritrash, (a bunch of "cheap@$$ games" titles as well), another row for table top warfare games (Star Fleet, Battletech, Reaper type stuff) and another for Role Playing. The store carries just about anything you'd need to run a campaign in just about any system or genre.

I like going to places like this because they still have some Heroscape sitting around, some BattleTech and of course many many new titles.

Behind the counter you'll find TONS of M:TG and RPG Dice in ample supply. There's also tons of vintage RPG source material throughout the store, back issues of of RPG magazines, Monster Manuals, etc.. if that's your thing, this place is paradise. The lady who has always worked there (forgive me I can't remember your name) is very knowledgeable and eager to help customers find what they are looking for.

Some negatives about the place, it's kind of dimly lit and dishevled, almost like you're in a friends house who is really really into games and also will sell to you. Which is good and bad I suppose. The place is not really kid friendly, they seem to prefer for younger gamers to be kept very close to parents.

Overall Red Dragon has a great selection of board games, RPG books and materials. It's worth the drive just to hang out for a while. But I always like to support my Friendly Local Gaming Stores and try to buy something when I visit. And I encourage you to do the same. This store also always has some kind of clearance or sale going on. Last time I purchased Dungeon Dice for a buck! Anyway, hope you can check this shop out. Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep this is a neat little store, and your right it feels like a friends finished basement. Last time I was there the owner pulled out an age appropriate game for my young kids and taught them how to play and sat there and played a game with them.

I haven't been there in a while but have wanted to go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
Yep this is a neat little store, and your right it feels like a friends finished basement. Last time I was there the owner pulled out an age appropriate game for my young kids and taught them how to play and sat there and played a game with them.

I haven't been there in a while but have wanted to go back.

Our experiences with kids being there weren't as positive, but when I went there with a buddy, the owner sat us down with a copy of Ticket to Ride and demoed the whole game with us. It was my first time playing and I always appreciate friendly and interative owner/staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Red Dragon was instrumental for me getting into the hobby in the mid-90's. my wife and I would meet with my students and former students for years as I discovered new games and playtested my own games there.

In 2002 my friend took over Fair Play Games (online store) and I worked with him for a couple years. That kept me very occupied and supplied with all the new titles, so haven't been back to Red Dragon more than twice in 10 years now. I'm always glad to hear they're still in business. Students still hang out there for D&D and Magic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.