Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Jaekel
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game now various times (the german version) and want to write my thoughts about it.

First point: German translation Some people say, the german version comes very bad translated, so I was a little bit afraid, buying one, but I did anyway. Now after playing it, I have to say, that its not true. There are some spelling errors in the rules, there is missing a paragraph and some points are explained a little clearer in the english rules. And yes, it helps, if you read the english rules too. But the game stays playable with german rules, the wording is very good; you notice, that a german native speaker translated this. On the cards until now I did not encounter spelling errors. So I am pleased with the translation, how it is. It could be better but its far away from broken, horrible or whatever.

Second point: the material. It is very good. Good cardstock, good wooden markers, ok plastic markers, a very very nice and very well designed gameboard (after reading the rules, you realize, how logical it is divided in different sections, helping to play the rounds of the game). Its a little bit "pale" ( for optimists: colors are not eye-hurting) but I love the graphics of the board and cards so much, it captures the theme of the game very good.

Third point: Gameplay. I will not refer to the rules, only to the feeling, the game offers. To say the truth: It is a game, I was always searching for. Theme here is everything. The board, the cards, cardtext, gameplay, scenarios: you are always part of the game, always involved, you forget reality, you are indeed on this island now, fighting creatures, damning your hostile envirionment, which destructs your efforts of the day before, exploring the island with all its risks, you are happy like a child gaining some resources to realize inventions, you are sick, sad, desperated, but there is always a solution; but what you need is time. And time is crucial. You have to plan well, you need to divide well your little stuff you have, deciding, when to spend what for which project.

The game engine is offering its part too: reacting on events, that happened to you; penalties to bad shelter-management, a "Threat-line" that gives you time to resolve appearing problems but beware, if you think, they do not matter.

And the best of all: replayability is very high. You never will see all events, all inventions, all starting items, all mysteries and so on. And always another combination of them, every new game you start. Every game is different: events, weather, discoveries, the look of the island, mysteries, creatures and so on. On top of that, you have 4 very different characters (well, there could be more one time) and different scenarios (here you can find certain discovery tokens on the island and the meaning of the same token differs depending on the scenario you play - how genius is that??).

Finally: its a fantastic game, I have to say thank you to the designer and all people involved in developing this gem. There is so much stuff in the game, so much going on, but the game is not overloaded, it always stays simple, logical and intuitive. Its very good to play with children, because every decision you make, has got its logic consequence. Children love that. (its cold? - you need wood for fire. You are hungry? - Go and get some food.]

If you are interested in adventure, especially Robinson-Crusoe-like: forget books, forget films or Computer games. Just sit down at your table, set up this game and you will be far far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get a chance to try this out at BGG.CON unfortunately, but I did ask several people playing it about it, and they all greatly enjoyed it.

I'll be buying it since I like co-op games and I'm a fan of the designer.

Thanks for the review! I'm even more excited now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank You for the review! Your short and to-the-point review just pushed the game from 'like to have' to 'must have' on my wishlist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
0468 Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a solo round and a round with my roommate. Died the first round. Barely made it in the last round on our coop-round. both tries on the first scenario. Found the game quite enjoyable both times.

And even if I played the first scenario both times, the experience was different both time. We never discovered the plains in the second round for example. It limited us to some of the inventions, but we still made it.

Good game. And nice review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for review!I am happy you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Słowiński
Poland
Chorzów
Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best cooperative game I have ever played. I fully agree with the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Ötz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic game. I played it three times last weekend and absolutely loved it. I' m going to buy it as soon as it is back in stock at my game shop. There seems to be a 2nd printing coming and I hope they fix a few things, because the German translation actually is a bit wonky. There were a few instances when we thought the wording was strange or unclear. I hope this will be corrected in the next printing. But having worked as a translator myself for a few times I know translating can be hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. This is an excellent game, solo or with multiple player. I just won my first game tonight (but will log the information in the morning). I can't stop thinking about this game even when I'm away doing other stuff. It's that much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.