Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've just come to my first attempt trying to assault Red City.
I'm still not sure if I've understood handling multiple enemies right, so any tips will be heartily appreciated.

The enemies I'm facing on the red city are the following:

Cards, units, crystals and skills I've got:

--------------------------------------
I'm planning on doing the following:
-------------------------------------
1) Use Banner of Fear to cancel block and damage phase

2) Power up CONCENTRATION which allows me use RAGE with attack +6

3) Power up MAXIMAL EFFECT then thrown away BATTLE VERSATILITY which gives me attack + 8

4) Use DETERMINATION = + 2 attack

5) Activate Units attacks and my skill altogether gives me + 6

As my total attack is 22 (consisting mainly by normal attacks) I guess I can only get rid of only The Freezer (14 armor, as it's fire resistant) and also the medusa armor 5, leaving 3 points as leftovers.

After attacking, I'll then be kicked out of the city by the freezer and monk, without any wounds however, due to banner of fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire resistance doesn't help anything against physical attacks - only against fire attacks. I think you should get full credit against the freezer and not have to double the damage required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Fire resistance doesn't help anything against physical attacks - only against fire attacks. I think you should get full credit against the freezer and not have to double the damage required.

Are normal attacks not halved in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Per above, Fire resistance makes only Fire-type attacks inefficient (and ignores Fire-type effects).

You need only 23 (7+7+5+4) Physical or Cold Attacks to take out all 4 foes here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
AndreKada wrote:
peterk1 wrote:

Only Fire Attacks are inefficient in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:

No. Why would they be? Nothing there has physical resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Why not use Maximal Effect on Rage and use Concentration to Power Battle Versatility? Same result but you get to keep Battle Versatility for future rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for clarifying this, guys!

Is the way I've summed up all my attacks values and then divide them between enemies correct then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you lack 1 Attack to take out all 4, you mind as well not use Maximal Effect. Play the other cards per your plan for 18 Attack and take out the 2 Freezers and Medusa. Kill the Monks in your next turn (you can let your two units take the Brutal Poisonous damage).

EDIT: turn, not round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebbie wrote:
Since you lack 1 Attack to take out all 4, you mind as well not use Maximal Effect. Play the other cards per your plan for 18 Attack and take out the 2 Freezers and Medusa. Kill the Monks in the next round (you can let your two units take the Brutal Poisonous damage).

That's true.
My initial card combination had been done in order to get as much attack as I could, but as it's been proven inefficient to clear all enemies, then yes, I should definitely not use Maximal Effect now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:
Jebbie wrote:
Since you lack 1 Attack to take out all 4, you mind as well not use Maximal Effect. Play the other cards per your plan for 18 Attack and take out the 2 Freezers and Medusa. Kill the Monks in the next round (you can let your two units take the Brutal Poisonous damage).

That's true.
My initial card combination had been done in order to get as much attack as I could, but as it's been proven inefficient to clear all enemies, then yes, I should definitely not use Maximal Effect now.

The alternative is to use Maximal Effect (with Rage), but keep your units. Then on the next turn, you can block all damage using the units, and would need to only generate the movement to get to the city and 3 attack. Or you could let the Utem Guardsmen take the damage and then either replace them with another unit from the city, or heal them, and have to generate only 1 attack and the movement.

In any case, that's a great hand for a city assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
Why not use Maximal Effect on Rage and use Concentration to Power Battle Versatility? Same result but you get to keep Battle Versatility for future rounds.

Why would you keep Battle Versatility for future rounds? If you power it with Concentration, it's still gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
ohgrande wrote:

Why would you keep Battle Versatility for future rounds? If you power it with Concentration, it's still gone.

Maximal Effect causes the other action to be "thrown away" (out of the game). Concentration causes the other action to go to the discard pile where it can be drawn in a future round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
ohgrande wrote:

Maximal Effect causes the other action to be "thrown away" (out of the game). Concentration causes the other action to go to the discard pile ..

Which unfortunately won't help me a lot in this game, as I'm approaching the last two turns of my last round, without having conquered the 1st city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
ohgrande wrote:

Maximal Effect causes the other action to be "thrown away" (out of the game). Concentration causes the other action to go to the discard pile where it can be drawn in a future round.

Ah, sorry - was confusing turn and round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
ohgrande wrote:

Maximal Effect causes the other action to be "thrown away" (out of the game). Concentration causes the other action to go to the discard pile ..

Which unfortunately won't help me a lot in this game, as I'm approaching the last two turns of my last round, without having conquered the 1st city.

Well, the victory over the 1st city should keep you enthusiastic about your next game even if you don't win the whole thing this time. I once almost pulled off defeating both cities in the last round. It's unlikely, but it can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:
Many thanks for clarifying this, guys!

Is the way I've summed up all my attacks values and then divide them between enemies correct then?

Yes, you are allowed to sum up your attack power and use it to kill multiple enemies in one attack.

If you do so, however, be aware that any any resistances on any of the enemies count against all your cards.

For that reason, it may be desirable to split up your cards into multiple attacks. For instance, to use the fire effects only on the enemies that have no fire resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.