Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: P N P printers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i was to buy a inkjet printer to print games what is best a regular inkjet or a photo printer or does it not matter
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
How many pages per week?
How price sensitive are you?
How inconvenience sensitive are you?
How tech handy are you?

These factors will make a difference.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
For a similar need, including printing large format (Super-B), I selected an HP K8600 OfficeJet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
How many pages per week?
How price sensitive are you?
How inconvenience sensitive are you?
How tech handy are you?

These factors will make a difference.
Hello its just for pnp games and i am just staring out so i do not print alot. Price is not a big problem but no need to pay for something that a lower price machine does the same. Not sure what you mean bt inconveniece. I am pretty handy with the computer and set ups. Was looking at laser color printers but price wise they do not seem to be worth it maybe i am wrong just need some expirenced direction
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Large format would be a must for boards ect
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
For a similar need, including printing large format (Super-B), I selected an HP K8600 OfficeJet.
That seems to be an older model. Do not see many forsale that are new on ebay?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using another HP printer...

This one: HP10000

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
regex wrote:
I'm using another HP printer...

This one: HP10000

Thats what i am looking for thanks. Think i will get two of those in case one breaks
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, after several years of using a fairly good inkjet (Canon i9950) I have just bought a colour laser. I found issues with inkjet printing - I could not find a sealant (be it modge podge of aerosol) that did not react to the ink. And for many purposes, the laser stuff just looks better, in my view. I am keeping my inkjet, though - it can handle thicker card (so I can print boxes straight to card rather than having to print a label and then attach that to the card) and my injket prints up to A3, which the laser cannot. A3 labels, though, seem to be prohibitively expensive - much, much more than double the price of A4.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
Beek Man wrote:

Hello its just for pnp games and i am just staring out so i do not print alot. Price is not a big problem but no need to pay for something that a lower price machine does the same. Not sure what you mean bt inconveniece. I am pretty handy with the computer and set ups. Was looking at laser color printers but price wise they do not seem to be worth it maybe i am wrong just need some expirenced direction
I can't help you with the inkjet/laser choice.

If you go inkjet and are just printing 1 game a week, say 10 pages, then it's probably not worth the potential for spills or mess that come with bulk inks.

And probably not even the very very slight risk that non-genuine inks will cause problems. (I've only had 1 lot of problems with non-genuine ink, that was in a Brother inkjet, and there are tales of genuine ink cartridges causing problems too.)

If you get to printing say +30 pages a week then you might start to feel the costs of genuine ink cartridges and want to look at either non-genuine cartridges or bulk ink. If this might happen, checking on the internet before you buy your printer will let you choose one that suits your refill needs. Your expertise in computers can come into play as some cartridges have inbuilt "chips" circuits that need to be mollified to allow non-genuine cartridges/inks to be used.

And if you get to printing large volumes weekly then a Continuous Ink Supply system might be worth looking at.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
Inkjets will virtually never give results as good as (or as stable as) laserjets. I wouldn't invest any money at all in an inkjet.

Recently, I've been having OfficeMax print all my stuff. I'm especially happy with it. Color is good; lots of paper choices; Option to laminate; Pretty cheap. Plus i don't have to worry about printer issues when they come up. "That's your problem. Call me when it's done. Thanks."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leiavoia wrote:
Inkjets will virtually never give results as good as (or as stable as) laserjets. I wouldn't invest any money at all in an inkjet.

Recently, I've been having OfficeMax print all my stuff. I'm especially happy with it. Color is good; lots of paper choices; Option to laminate; Pretty cheap. Plus i don't have to worry about printer issues when they come up. "That's your problem. Call me when it's done. Thanks."
good point
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Though inkjet print out quality is not as good as laserjet, if you want to print labels, inkjet is the way to go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
Though inkjet print out quality is not as good as laserjet, if you want to print labels, inkjet is the way to go.


I'm curious what you're referring to here; I print labels on my laser printer all the time, and I've not noticed any particular problems...


You do have to make sure that the labels you're printing on are suitable for putting through a laser printer, but that's pretty much all of the readily-available printable labels, I've never had a problem sourcing them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Ultracheng wrote:
Though inkjet print out quality is not as good as laserjet, if you want to print labels, inkjet is the way to go.


I'm curious what you're referring to here; I print labels on my laser printer all the time, and I've not noticed any particular problems...


You do have to make sure that the labels you're printing on are suitable for putting through a laser printer, but that's pretty much all of the readily-available printable labels, I've never had a problem sourcing them.
The main issue that I have had is ensuring a clean and consistent feed on the laser. When you are printing whole page labels that hardly matters. But when doing small labels (such as circles to put on discs) then it matters a lot. I suspect that I just need to get to know the new laser a bit better. But from a quality and adhesion perspective, I have had zero problems with the laser on labels.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

But when doing small labels (such as circles to put on discs) then it matters a lot.


Ah, I see. I don't bother with pre-cut labels for that kind of thing anyway, so I hadn't considered it - I tend to print on full-page and then cut out with arch punches and/or craft punches to get the discs. This does have the added process step of using a sharp knife to separate the backing, but it also means I can use my label sheets for anything and not worry too much about what size circles I need, so I consider it an acceptable trade-off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use work's HP 4540 for my PnP items. I will supply my own 100# stock if I'm doing cards. Inkjets eat WAY too much ink for graphics projects.

You could also look into having items printed at your local office supply store; high quality prints at a good price. Costco is also good for printing large format (Poster size photo is $10)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy with the Canon inkjet I got last year. It prints quite thick sheets and can print A3 size. I don't print many games, so cost per sheet is not a big issue (have not had to refill even once).

I print A4 size stickers for countersheets, but all maps on A3, even if the original game was designed to be smaller. Will not go back to a printer that can only do A4, so color laser is probably out of the question for now (out of my price range at least). It would be nice to get a printer that can do A2, but I doubt they will be available at consumer prices anytime soon (or ever?).

EDIT: Of course I tend to avoid printing any game that requires a lot of ink. The game(prototype)s I made and printed myself are always low-ink with mostly white areas, and I am more likely to print games by others if they are designed like that as well. For printing a lot of components filled with heavily saturated colors a laser printer is probably going to be a lot cheaper.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.