Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will now post this as the current working rules. v.1.0

Firstly get one or more of the extra buildings expansions for this game. The first and I think the second comes with an extra stall and an extra farm expansion, plus a bunch of special buildings.
You will also need:
3 people discs in a different colour to the red and blue.
1 player farm board.
2 farm expansions ( 7 total ).
5 feeding troughs ( 15 total ).
13 fence borders ( 9 for the 3rd player, 4 are added to the 8
border resources).
Use 12 randomly picked special buildings.
6 Tokens of each animal that denote 4 animals and 6
Tokens of each animal that denote 2 animals. Or alternatively half of another game box's animeeples, or you can buy or make animeeples. Animeeples look better.
Determine the staring player.
The person to the right of the starting player gets 1
randomly picked building resource disc from a bag
containing all the resource discs as long as it's a wood or stone, continue to pick until they recieve one.
There are 12 turns. If there is a tie in scoring at the end of the game the winner of the tie goes in the order of player 3 over player 2 over player 1 when these player position roles were assigned at the start of the game.

Draw a similar picture to the animal set bonus but using the following stats, onto a piece of paper and keep it in the box.

0-5 = penalty -5 coins.

Horse 7-8 = 1 coin
Horse 9-10 = 2 coin
Horse 11-12 = 3 coin
Horse 13 = 4 coin
... = 1 coin

Cow 8-9 = 1 coin
Cow 10-11 = 2 coin
Cow 12-13 = 3 coin
Cow 14 = 4 coin
... = 1 coin

Pig 9-10 = 1 coin
Pig 11-12 = 2 coin
Pig 13-14 = 3 coin
Pig 15 = 4 coin
... = 1 coin

Sheep 10-11 = 1 coin
Sheep 12-13 = 2 coin
Sheep 14-15 = 3 coin
Sheep 16 = 4 coin
... = 1 coin

-----------------------------------------------------

Old original post:

Am going to try a 3 player version. Need 2 boxes with this. Also different colour player discs or stickers on 1 red and one blue if playing option 1.

Turn order is clockwise. End of game ties broken in preference towards original player 3-2-1.
Player 3 gets 1 random resource disc at start.

Option 1:
Each player has only 2 discs. Could be played with more buildings expansion.

Option 2:
Each player has 3 discs as per usual but really should be played with the more buildings expansion, add 6 new special buildings instead of 4 giving 10 special buildings. Add 5 extra feeding troughs to the supply.
Add 2 farm expansions to the 5 present.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Or...you could just play Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the version free of vegetables, clay, occupations and starvation. Also I don't own the main agricola because everyone else does. Also I prefer many players for the normal Ag.

So NO!

Sometimes there are 3 people around and I don't want to exclude them for a game of something easy. This is a 30 minute game and a third player will add several minutes but it's still quick.

Also I'm guessing that people who post here like to breed with animals only.yuk

I debated giving player 2 a resource and player 3 2 resources, but because player 2 will get 3 resources at the start anyway I think the bias needed to go to player 3 only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested if 3 player A:ACBaS
I like option 3, this would have been my first instinctive house rule.

I'd also think about adding perhaps 1 or 2 fences to the pile of fences that count down the turns left.

With three players I can see it being quite a fight for resources.

Do let us know how it player out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 3?

As to adding borders and therefore game turns, that is a valid point. Logically 4 should be added. It will extend the game time by 15 minutes. If I don't those add borders maybe people will build the cheap buildings to offset this, which might be interesting.

Have also wondered if accelerating animal restock is worth it with 3 disc play and 8 turns. Would maybe suggest bracket animals come out in 2's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
option 2 - my bad

I think everything will be fought over more, so options and strategies will have to be adjusted accordingly (kinda obvious) I can see the player one token changing hands much more than with 2 players. and I can't see any resources stacking up for next turn. closing down sale, everything must go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a version with 1 set?

Start with 7 fences each, play for 5 turns.
2 disks each.

Don't use the player boards. Give each player an expansion board and a stall to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I have had 4 games of this now. People seem to prefer this variant to the original!

I will now post this as the current working fan rules. v.0.1.0

Firstly get the More buildings expansion. It comes with an extra stall and an extra expansion which is good.
You will also need:

3 people discs in a different colour to the red and blue.
1 player board.
2 expansions ( 7 total ).
5 feeding troughs ( 15 total ).
13 fence borders ( 9 for the 3rd player, 4 are added to the 8 border resources).
Use the 4 standard special buildings, and 8 picked randomly from the More buildings expansion.

6 Tokens of each animal that denote 4 animals and 6 Tokens of each animal that denote 2 animals.
Or alternatively half of another game box's animeeples.

Determine the staring player.
The person to the right of the starting player gets 1 randomly picked building resource disc from a bag containing all the resource discs. There are 12 turns. If there is a tie in scoring at the end of the game the winner of the tie goes in the order of player 3 over player 2 over player 1 when these player position roles were assigned at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok in this 3 player version the blocking is more significant. There are more rethinks with 9 tokens going down. I quite like this as it means rethinks.

Because of the extra turns there are a lot more animals that are on the farms. Thus I think I should adjust the score board on the side of the box. It is easy for everyone to avoid the -3 penalty and they will probably have all 4 sets of animals. So I have set the new bonus score board to:

0-5 = penalty -5 coins.

Horse 7-8 = 1 coin
Horse 9-10 = 1 coin
Horse 11-12 = 1 coin
Horse 13 = 1 coin

Cow 8-9 = 1 coin
Cow 10-11 = 1 coin
Cow 12-13 = 1 coin
Cow 14 = 1 coin

Pig 9-10 = 1 coin
Pig 11-12 = 1 coin
Pig 13-14 = 1 coin
Pig 15 = 1 coin

Sheep 10-11 = 1 coin
Sheep 12-13 = 1 coin
Sheep 14-15 = 1 coin
Sheep 16 = 1 coin

Note the there is an extra range of 2 animals for the third coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this version many times now with a varied selection of people and have enjoyed it more than the 2 player version. So have the people I have played it with. The balance seems right. There is contention and more blocking with the worker placement, however it's at a decent rate. You get that odd feeling of being blocked. I am really happy with how this has turned out and I think this is a solid variant.

Might have to provide a file for the animal bonus sheet that I overlay on the side of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank J├Ąger
Germany
flag msg tools
We also played it with 3 players on vacation last year when a friend of ours visited. Worked really well. This is how we played it:

- The new player has the same starting setup as usual (3 player discs, 9 fences, ...)
- We added 2 more fences, leading to two additional rounds played
- 2 more expansions
- Extra rule: at the beginning of each round, the last player in the play order can pick 1 resource (wood, stone, or reed)
- We used 5 barns (similar to the rules in the expansions)
- I don't recall exactly but I think we added 2 more special buildings
- All other rules were unchanged

This was made up very spontaneously since our friend was very interested in playing it (being a big Agricola enthusiast). The player board and the additional expansions were drawn on a piece of paper, and we used matchsticks for the additional fences. We still have the paper "boards" in the box just in case...

All players scored between 50 and 60 points in the end. While the action board was quite packed, we didn't feel that we had situations where someone could not do any useful action. We added the extra resource for the third player as a bonus against crowdedness which seemed to help.

Initially, we planned to play 12 rounds, but had to stop after 10 rounds. However, we found that the time was sufficient to get enough animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
V 1.0 of the rules now at the top of the thread. Stone or wood is the third player's starting resource. Also use 12 random special buildings of any type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.