• [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Markus,

you can place six extra dummy-workers, display only three monuments and one wood and one corn tile at each spot of the Palenque-gear and ignore all rules concerning the starting player. Then you can try to get the highest score possible. It works, but it is not very exciting.

Best wishes
Flott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you do something like after every turn reveal one of the starting tiles - the dummy player places a worker on that gear. If the dummy player has place all the workers (all 6?), they remove the worker based on the starting tile (or the worker highest on a gear)

You could also play with less skulls and maybe borrow from Agricola and require 3 food per worker (you could also start with only one tile)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried it solo with your rules today, and it's quite a neat idea to find out how certain strategies work. What lacks of excitement is probably the fact that you will not battle any opponents for the temples. In my multiplayer games, it was quite important to fight for those bonus points you get at the 2nd/4th food day.

For a harder solo variant: For the setup, put 1 pawn of a non-player colour on the top of every temple.
At the end of your turn, you may spend (exactly) 1 corn to make one of those pawns go a step down on a temple.
When it's food day and your pawn is above the dummy players pawn, you get the bonus points (as you would get in a multiplayer game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing this game solitaire utilizing the suggestions offered above by flott and SBHD, and have been enjoying it greatly -- thanks so much for these ideas! Nice way to try out different strategies, typically revolving around one (sometimes two) of the Monuments which are available (a couple of which, although clearly good in multi-player games, are relatively weak in solitaire play).

Curious as to what kinds of scores others may have been attaining with this variant -- mine have ranged from 42 to 82 thus far, with an average of approximately 60.

Great game, by the way! Love all the multiple interacting parts (both literally and figuratively speaking), the many paths to victory, and the various strategic and tactical choices to be considered every turn. Kind of reminds me a bit of Trajan in that regard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Kreiner-Møller
Denmark
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also thinking in the lines of 6 extra dummy workers and only 3 monuments.

One way to solve the competition for the temples could be to have a dummy opponent that started some levels up in the temples depeding on where the dummy workers start, i.e. 3 workers on palenque equals 3 steps up in the brown temple and so on. Maybe he could advance just before feeding to give some competition.

I think that some of the buildings should also be cycled out, so you are not stuck with bad buildings. Die roll to randomly remove a building every 3 turns or so.

Furthermore should some of the skull places already be blocked and the first player mechanic modified a bit, because some times the instant food for placing a worker is critical, but would quickly be overpowered if there is no competition.

A challenge could be set up. Identical conditions. Who can get the most points. Interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
My solo system:

1. Place all 18 dummy workers, but no more than four per wheel.

3. Start all dummy players at the bottom of each temple track.

4. Starting at the first food day and ending at the third food day advance one dummy temple marker one level per day. After the third food day and until the game ends advance two dummy temple markers per day. Randomly draw a dummy color using the unused tech markers. Use resource markers to determine the temple. Gold = center (yellow) temple, stone = green (right) temple, wood = red (left) temple. Draw from a bag containing 4 wood, 3 stone and 2 gold until the first scoring. After the first scoring draw from 2 wood, 3 stone and 4 gold.

5. On scoring rounds play your turn AFTER seeing where the dummy players advance on the temple tracks.

6. Put two corn on the first player spot. Replenish this every time it is taken.

7. Place one wood chit and one corn chit on each Palenque space that should get one (not the fishing space).

8. Place four monuments, but omit any that are nerfed by playing solo. (i.e. total skulls placed, total monuments built)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the solo setup ideas.

I am really new to the game so I may be way off but I was wondering if there would be any value in adding dice rolling for first player to the solo game? I was thinking this would add back the need to take into account the possibility of a double turn of the wheel.

Such as: After your turn if the corn on the spokes is more than 3 roll a D6. If it is a 6 then the dummy player takes first player. The dummy player always makes a double turn if they have not done so more than 3 times (3 times to simulate up to three other players doing this in the 4 player game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been away from this game for quite a while, but then it started "tugging" at me for some reason from the shelf where it's been quietly sitting (maybe it was Quetzalcoatl calling to me through one of those awesome crystal skulls?). Anyway -- great game, and certainly one which seriously challenges and frequently humbles me.

So, back into the "re-learning curve." In my first game back (using the initial solitaire mode described earlier in this thread, with dummy markers initially placed at the top of each temple and moved down by spending corn), I stumbled my way to a quite pitiful score of 43 VPs, making it painfully (yet, at the same time, delightfully) clear that I've definitely got a long way to go in terms of getting a decent handle on this game...

And as I was playing on the temple steps, so to speak, yet another fairly simple way of handling things there within the context of this solitaire mode (and one which feels more like playing against another player) arose. And so I thought I'd share it here for those who might be interested...

Start with dummy markers on the 0 step for each temple. Each turn, roll a D6 -- if the result is 5 or 6, advance one of these markers up one step, using the D6 (12/34/56) to choose which one. If the result is a temple where the dummy marker is already at the top (a very rare occurrence), then shift one temple to the right (or back around to the first one from the third).

With 27 turns and 18 temple steps, this means that, on average, the dummy will advance a total of 9 steps, which is half of what is possible. In addition, you'll never know which temple he might choose, or when -- plus he might advance more than 9 steps in any given game (or less), depending on how fickle that D6 is for that game.

And, if you'd like to increase the difficulty level, you could start the dummy markers on the first step of each temple (or even the second)...

Okay -- back to it this evening, and hopefully with some early signs of tangible progress emerging...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm curious -- what kinds of scores have those of you playing this solo variant (either version in terms of how the dummy plays the Temple steps) been getting? Since getting back into it, in 6 games my scores have ranged from 43 to 91, with an average of 58. Not particularly stellar, to say the least. Yet I am loving how this game continues to challenge me to learn how to play it better, and often giggles a bit at my stumbling efforts -- especially when I read how other players can readily score 100+ in multiplayer games!

I've clearly got a long way to go. Hopefully things will start "clicking" better as I continue to wrestle with this game. And, when it stymies, frustrates and humbles me yet again, I smile and just remind myself: isn't this one of the truest joys and pleasures of gaming -- i.e., when a game really demands you to patiently persist in order to explore its possibilities and gradually learn its ways -- sometimes in "fits and starts," sometimes via a more gradual progression? After all, a really good game should take a good while (and a substantial amount of effort) to begin revealing its secrets. And this is clearly one of those games...!

So, back to it soon, probably this evening. (And there I see Terra Mystica looking down at me from the shelf, daring me resume our adventures when I'm ready so it can continue its teaching efforts...).

Ain't this hobby grand?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elad wrote:
So, I'm curious -- what kinds of scores have those of you playing this solo variant (either version in terms of how the dummy plays the Temple steps) been getting? Since getting back into it, in 6 games my scores have ranged from 43 to 91, with an average of 58.

If you want to be able to compare solo scores or see how different strategies work, I'd (humbly) suggest my Duplicate Solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks -- I will certainly check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
td3865 wrote:
7. Place one wood chit and one corn chit on each Palenque space that should get one (not the fishing space).

Tom -- Newbie question here: Does this mean the non-jungle space 2 should only have 1 corn chit on the whole space?

And what sort of scores do you get with your variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.