Subject: Research Funds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that whoever goes last in placing their token for research funds should always just go to the far left spot. They are going to get the remaining funds, regardless of if there is less / more then six coins available at that point. This spot also allows you to dig in all galleries.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just default to this spot (if not already taken) as the last player in this phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things:
- There might not be any money left by the time it gets to you.
- You're going to choose the level to excavate last, so the one you want might be gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the observation Ian made is correct: if a player is already committed to collecting research funds last, they should play on the far left space. The funds paid out will depend on the other payouts, and the player will have the option of choosing any gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is the far left space? The "remaining money but going last"? That seems counterproductive. Often the last player will grab a space earlier (further to the right) than at least some of the other players so they're guaranteed to get some coins.

Very often the leftmost space will get nothing, unless you're already rich with coins, digging permission that you can't pay for (And which might already have been taken) is next to useless.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:
It seems that whoever goes last in placing their token for research funds should always just go to the far left spot. They are going to get the remaining funds, regardless of if there is less / more then six coins available at that point. This spot also allows you to dig in all galleries.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just default to this spot (if not already taken) as the last player in this phase?

Why would you ever default to that space? Certainly there are situations where you take the risk and hope for a 7+ income round. But normally, I'd prefer guaranteed income and a reasonable location to dig before other players. Add to this the bonus possibility of screwing someone else with less income.

Here's a quick example: there's two money bags showing (2-6 bucks) in a three player game. The first player goes for 0 income, ensuring they get the tasty 5th level of findings because it would be perfect for their set. This leaves player B to get the 4 income / 5 levels digging.

Now IMO player B has horribly misplayed. And I prove this by taking the 4 income / 4 level spot immediate to his right.

Now I've guaranteed more money than them, and a better pick of finds (1st player has already preempted any possibility of taking the 5th level anyways).

There might be other scenarios that doesn't rely on a misplay, but mistakes will happen in actual games and you should pounce on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think someone has some rules incorrect.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I understand the rules and am playing the game correctly.

I guess I should elaborate on my question. Say all you are really looking for is money in a turn and don't have either a desire to dig that turn, or no real preference as to what row you would take. In that instance, is it not best to just take that left most space if you are the last to place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No because often the leftmost space can be guaranteed no money.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming a 3p game, add together the amounts that the first two players are going to get, and subtract it from the average amount that you expect to come up from the two cards given. If that amount is less than the last open spot to the right of the leftmost player that already played, then playing on the 6 will get you a lower expected amount of coins than playing to that last open spot before the leftmost player. If that amount is more than the open spot, then, yes, you might as well play to the 6 if you're trying to maximize your money. If the 4 (I-V) is to the left of both other players, then the 4 and 6 are equivalent spots.

As far as money alone goes, all open spots to the left of all players that have already played are equivalent, assuming you place last. But that's not the same as saying you should always place to the left of all players that have already played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:
No I understand the rules and am playing the game correctly.

You're doing something incorrectly with the money if you are even posting this question.

Take, for example, that the research funds come up with two bags. The minimum is two gold. In a four player game it is entirely possible that multiple players get short-changed. One player could get one gold, the next one was supposed to get two gold but only receives one, and the next two players get nothing.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could even be the case that the case that the far left spot is guaranteed to get no money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
It could even be the case that the case that the far left spot is guaranteed to get no money!

Yes. I agree with me.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.