Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

As I finished my translated to Spanish language and updated version from Carrier, with help of a friend we start with Tokyo Express.

My first idea about game components redesign is that ship's counters with a plan view of the ship can be a better solution for heading rules.

So my first work is find all ship's plan view with enough quality for this purpose. Do you know a web page where I can take these colored plan views?

Have you got any other idea about counters?

Have you got any other suggestion regarding to counters or markers, even in cuantity or design, something that can improve the original game?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I've forgotten an important question: can somebody confirm to me ship's counter size?

Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Jose -
BRILLIANT idea! Tokyo Express is such an exciting game with such boring counters -- it cries out to be updated. I enthusiastically support your idea.
In fact, your project reminds me of a similar effort done to one of my other favorite war games, Raid on St Nazaire. Like TE, ROSN featured really tense and exciting game play, and really awful counters. Like TE, ROSN has a beautiful map board that did not need to be changed - just the counters. Your fellow countryman, Felipe Santamaria, did a fantastic job in redesigning the counters so that they now add to the quality of play, instead of detracting from it.
I think using plan views of the ships is a great idea. I also think that the different ship types should be reflected in different counter sizes - battleship counters should be larger than cruisers, which should be larger than destroyers. The action chits should look like, well, action chits. The 'combat' chit should be big and bold with explosive graphics, the 'US detect' should have a radar-scopey kind of graphic, the 'Japan detect' a kind of through-the-binoculars graphic...I could go on and on.
Suffice it to say that I love your idea and am willing to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Joe for your words.

I have some ideas about counters update... at this moment I'm still looking for ships plan view in order to make a template and some tests, and looking for some background for ship counters.

In order to have an idea about my work with Carrier you can see this post: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/762582/updating-carrier-...

I will inform about my progress in this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first tests about ship counters:

The first one is front face (a japanese BB), and the second and third ones is CL Tenryu at it back side (fired side).

In order to get an easy difference between front and back side, fired side shows text in red and ship's image contains fire/smoke at their guns.

What do you think about they?? Do you prefer smoke or fire at the guns for fired side?? I'm not sure about it....

Further to it I will probable change text font and something else... this is only the first attemp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Forsa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that black text on the BB counter (unfired side) will look good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you friend for your suggestion!

I have worked in this and I have new proposals that could be good for me.

First of all, from before post, I need to decide about "fired side" image. I'm not sure about use of white smoke, or black smoke together fire.

What do you prefer to simulate fire your guns??

About this post image, I have to decided between A1 or A2 front counter design. I prefere A1 ones.

After that I have to decide about text font. You can see 2 different ones at A1 and A3 samples. At first I prefer A3 font because it can be easuly read, but it is too wide for ship name for example. What do you think about it??

On the other hand I'm not sure about "fired side" design. I think B1 could be more beautiful, but I'm not sure whether differences between both sides of the counters could be so slight, and B2 can be a better design for easy identification of front and reverse side.

Finally about US counters I'm not sure about use of green color as the original Tokyo Express counters, or use a blue color as for other games for US counters. Further to it I like more a small "stars" part of US flag. For that reasons I think samples C3 and D3 are my favourites, although "fired side" design should be decided between "B1 and B2".

What do you think about these samples??

Any other suggestion??

Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Forsa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see counters similar to these, as they are awesome:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your suggestion. Countersheet you show is from Second World War at Sea.

These designs can be easily made because sea background and flags aren't needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think this can be the last test for ship counters design.

I like very much options 5 (A5, B5, C5 amd D5) or 7 (A7, B7, C7, or D7)... because they let you see clearly fired side with the red stripe, a complete ship name because the space reserved is longer, and the nation color (yellow and green) are more important in the new designs. I will probably print this sheet in order to decide it.

I have to decide about smoke/fire from fire the guns... I'll try to finish it soon.

I hope you like these ideas. I'm very excited with this.

Best regards,

Jose Manuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Forsa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like option 7 most, easier to read and looks cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work Jose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!!

I have printed a B/W sheet and definitively the final design for counters shall be 7 (A7, B7, C7, and D7).

I have to test special effects of fired guns for "fired side", but nothing else shall be modified at ship counters design.

Thank you for your suggestion about counters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Terrific work, Jose. I love what you did for the Carrier update, too. I don't own that ganme, but when I do I'll be playing with your counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Joe!

There are a lot of work to do with Tokyo, because we are starting now with it.

About Carrier, some users started to translate back to English, my Spanish version. As far as I know, they finished with map, but I don't know whether they continue with counters and tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!!

Now it's time to define fire/smoke at fired side.

Fist of all is decide about fire direction: horizontal (aft or fore), or to ship's side.

I prefer fore/aft fire becuase guns are drawn looking forward/aftward, and although at printed version it could be a smaller detail I'm not sure about it.

The second subject is decide about what kind of smoke/fire du you like.

I think more real can be D6 and D7 ones.

What do you think?

Thank you for your opinion and suggestion!

Best regards,

Jose Manuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I vote for A, B, and D6.
I like row 7 as well, but the ship's nanes are harder to read against the red background. The narrow red stripes on the fired side of the 6s provide just enough of a visual cue, along witht he cool fire & smoke graphics, to indicate that the ship has fired.
I also like the idea of the ship's guns being offset to the side - the way they were usually fired. Straight fore-and-aft doesn't look right to me.

Thanks for asking and, again, the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Joe!!

As you say version 7, is harder to read, but it can be read... and I think it is better that a bigger font, because a bigger font although it can be easily read, all names should be shorter so it can be worse to understand or recognize them.

Here you have some counters I prepared for a color print test. I continue with aft/fore or side fire at fired side.... I hope after check printed version I can take a decision...

Now, I have to concentrate at rules translation...

Best regards,

Jose Manuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are fantastic Jose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Forsa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, really good looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
jmkinki wrote:

These rules are challenging enough in my native tongue -- I can't imagine navigating through them in a second language.

Jose - eres mi heroe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
jmkinki wrote:

These rules are challenging enough in my native tongue -- I can't imagine navigating through them in a second language.

Jose - eres mi heroe!

Gracias Joe!!

After my Carrier update I feel so strong to try this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings friends,

I'm updating gunnery cards... what do you think about this update?

I'm going to make a printing test in order to confirm whether images weight it is enough.

However I have some doubts about CL images... because two of them there were daylight images so I have modified them to dark them.

Further to it I have changed black color of BB cards by yellow-orange color.

I hope you like it.

Best regards,

Jose Manuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was worried because I couldn't get an updated design for log sheets.

I finnally get it!

I hope you can find it interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.