Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's start with the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund Auction. Not all the money has come in yet, but I know we've raised over $36K so far. That's amazing, and you guys are the best.

We often make a big deal about the BIG contributions, like Rich Sommer and the gaming meetup, or the signed games, or the mini painting. And believe me, I AM thankful for those items. But I also wanted to point out that I am happy for the $1 donations just as much. Every bit counts, and the amount of people who got involved with donating and bidding is staggering to me.

This time of the year is very poignant to me, especially as the 15th was Jack's birthday. I was at BGG.con, and I really appreciated those who remembered that fact - something I was acutely aware of all day. At the same time, I was very thankful that Sunny had made it past the same point.

As it turns out, it's likely that she died pretty close to that same day or shortly thereafter. The doctors aren't sure what happened, but her heart just stopped beating. I got to see and touch her briefly yesterday, and it breaks my heart to have this happen three times in a row (there was another baby between Jack and Sunny - only lasted a couple months). We really were so close with Sunny, we thought she was going to make it, but were on pins and needles the whole time. And now it looks like Sunny will be the last Vasel. But I can't complain - I have four wonderful children waiting me in Heaven, and six wonderful kids that need me to take care of them now, so I have it so good.

I don't mean to splash my personal life all over the internet, but I do so for a few reasons.

1.) You guys know so much about us through videos and audio podcast, it only seems right to tell you the whole story. While we stretch our caricatures a bit for humor's sake - we pretty much straight shoot our personalities on the internet - what you see is what you get.

2.) This whole thing reminds me so strongly of what the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund has been set up for. The costs for Sunny aren't anywhere near what Jack's were, but it reminds me that there ARE costs. If this happens to you, PLEASE contact the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund, and we can help you with these costs! Don't be too proud to ask for help, it's what we are set up for! You will find no one on the board who is more empathetic to your situation as me - because I know a little what you are going through.

3.) I love the support you guys give. From the Facebook messages, to the emails - I can't answer them all, but be assured that I read them and appreciate them.

From my family, to all of yours, a big thank you.

I just listened to a podcast the other day where someone talked about the trolls here on BGG, and talked about what a unfriendly place this is. There certainly are trolls here, but they are stomped 10,000 to one by the kind, friendly people here. This place is awesome.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for your loss, Tom, and are amazed about your family's ability to handle your sad events with so much equanimity and grace.

I hope folks use this time of the year to remember others less fortunate than ourselves, like you guys have, and try to make the world a slightly better place for your having been here.

Best to you and yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for your loss. It's amazing that such sad events can kick into action the goodness inherent inside each and every one of us in this little gaming community of ours. We turn our personal tragedies into strengths which we then use to help others.

After watching so many of your videos, it almost seems like we are good friends. You'll always have a place at my gaming table, and I hope I'll one day have the opportunity to attend Dice Tower Con and shake your hand in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dennis
Wales
Llanon
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never met you but feel that I know you and some of your lovely family so well because of your videos. Thinking of you all from here in Wales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your family is in many peoples thoughts and prayers today, including ours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're so sorry for your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really sorry for your loss - as a parent for the first time only recently I can only imagine the heartbreak your family must be going through and I pray that you all get the support that you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our prayers go out for you and your family Tom. Godbless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear this sad news Tom - you're in our thoughts as is Laura and all the Vasel kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts are with you and your family.

November has been a hellish month for some reason. My sister (47) died on November 1st and my mother's aorta began to tear open and tore into her heart on the 11th. After an emergency open heart surgery that replaced her aorta, she is now suffering a bad infection and not doing so well.

My point is that you are not alone nor will you ever be because BGG is filled with people who care about you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts and prayers for the Vasel famiy -- so sorry for your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry for your loss Tom. My sister and I had to spend Thanksgiving bringing my mother to hospice so it is a difficult time for us as well. But I can't imagine a parent having to deal with the loss of even a single child. I am very moved by your strength and ability to see what good you do have instead of focusing on the negative. Stay strong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your compassion, strength and humanness shine through in the toughest of times. A great quality in a person. Again, my families thoughts are with you. My wife and I lost a child early in pregnancy a year or so after our Sophie was born. It was a trying time for all involved. I hope one day to meet you and shake your hand and thank you for all you have given me through your posts, podcasts and videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Cinca
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learned about Jack as I remembered seeing something about the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund at the BGG con. My thoughts are with you and your family Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry to hear that Tom. My thoughts are with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
We wish you and your family the best Tom.

I'm glad to hear that the auction was such a success and I think it's wonderful you set up something to help people in need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bennetts
msg tools
I typically lurk here and have never posted previously, but just needed to say my thoughts are with you and your family Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for your Family's loss. It sure has been tough for you all lately. I don't know how you do it. I just know what else to say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

I do not know you personally but watch your reviews and listen to the podcast on a regular basis.

You are a wonderful person and I'm truly sorry for you and your family's loss.

Thoughts and prayers,

Clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So sorry to hear about the sad news. You will be in my thoughts. And my heart goes out to you and your family at this difficult time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I am very sorry to hear of your loss Tom. I hated to hear when Jack passed on, and again this pains me to hear.

I am currently watching my own 2 month old, born with club feet in a hospital bed (not noticed club feet till birth due to low amount of ultrasounds during pregancy - 1 in total).
He was admitted after the last "cast" at Shriners in SLC, when they weighed him and he hadn't gained more than a few ounces in 3 weeks. The doctor was concerned (freaked out on my pediatrician in reality), and called up my pediatrician. Neither was at fault, but one thought the other was doing more than the other due to not weighing him at the pediatrician due to the casts on the legs, and weighing him infirequently each week at Shriners when the new cast was put on.

It all comes down to a misunderstanding of what I said and what the pediatrican heard. I said he was taking 5 ounces in 3 hours. He heard it as every 3 hours he was getting 5 ounces. I literally said he was taking 3 hours to take 5 ounces of milk. He used up all of his energy to eat, so he nothing to grow with.

After admitted 2 weeks ago, he is eating well, (found out some reflux problems in his throat caused him to drown on the feedings, so he couldn't drink much in a laying position. We now feed him upright and he likes it better eating much more in a shorter amount of time.

The only thing now is his oxygen is low so they will not let him go home. So, it is a waiting game on when he can be released.

It is harder on my wife as this reminds her of the tubes that were placed into our first born during his ordeal at Primary Childrens Hospital 6 years ago. Shriners is about a mile from Primary Childrens so it also makes it difficult to relive the trips to the PCH in her mind as we visit Shriners for the club feet, once a week for the first 2 months of his life.

Happily, the problems now are taken care of without major surgery since they caught it sooner than later, and I should be taking my child home soon.

It was painful to hear of Tom's loss again as I have been through the torture that comes with losing a child, but now, hearing that Tom has lost 4 in total, it is even harder to hear, knowing how precious children are. My heart goes out to you Tom, you have been through a lot, and still look to the positive. My prayers will be with you and your family.
May your loved ones give you the time to heal, and be there for you as we all wish we could give you a big hug ourselves.

Scott

PS I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I wanted to give a back story on why I wrote it, so I felt details were needed to explain this. My loss was already journalized on the geek. The members of BGG are the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoy your podcasts and wish you the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.