Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the new forces, map, and player count, what are the major rule tweaks, changes or other updates in The American Revolution 1775-1783 compared to the first game in the series, 1812: The Invasion of Canada?

Although I mentioned forces as an exception, I'm curious how the Germans, French, and Native Americans troops are used in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
While I will very likely support the Kickstarter campaign for this game, since I really enjoy the designers' first effort 1812: Invasion of Canada, I think that Yokiboy raises a legitimate question.

What is different about 1775: Rebellion that sets it apart from 1812? I can appreciate using the same gaming system of cards and dice for movement and conflict resolution, but what changes have been added to the system which makes playing 1775 a different gaming experience from its older brother?

For example, the block system from Columbia Games, has been applied to various conflicts, without a feeling of "sameness". I hope that the same will be said of the Academy Games efforts with 1812 and 1775.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I haven't even sen this game, so take this will a grain of salt. What I have heard is that reinforcements and fled units can be placed in any friendly controlled territory, and that there are two factions per side with the Native Americans forming a 5th "wild card" faction that could benefit either side.

I think that those two differences alone will make the game play very different from 1812.

I backed the project on kicks tarter this morning.

Take care all,
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dast
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I played a late-stage prototype of 1775 a few months ago, and have read the rules to 1812, so some of this may not be entirely correct, but key differences as I understand them are:

1. Indians are a neutral faction whose units will ally with any army moving onto their space. Both sides have (at least) one special card that allows them to recruit 'fled' indian units.

2. Germans and French are potential allies that may be brought in through various special cards. They have their own dice, so they can be a significant factor in fighting strength.

3. Sea movement is more powerful since all water areas are connected.

4. Reinforcements can appear in any area of a colony that your side has exclusive control of (not counting neutral units).

It's this last change that I think makes the biggest difference to the feel of the game--you can potentially create a reinforcement point, or block your opponents' reinforcement anywhere on the map, so this makes the question of where to attack and what to defend a significant tactical question, and not just a matter of trying to grab territory to score points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dast
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Wow. You're really digging around the fuzzy edges of my recollections...

Counting up all the dice I remember yields a total > 14. Therefore my guess would be either: Germans and French use the same set of two dice and Indians also have two. OR 1 die each for Germans and French, and two dice for Indians. Edit: The kickstarter video shows 17 dice, including 2 each for Germans and Frence, and 3 for the Indians. I'm thinking the 14x in the Kickstarter description is just a typo.

Pretty sure the version I played had four special cards for each player faction, but no idea how many of them bring in European allies or how they're distributed.

Also pretty sure that control of a colony is established if there are no enemy units present in any SPACE of that colony, but your team does not need to occupy every space.

With any luck Uwe or one of the designers will find this thread soon and give us more definitive answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe Eickert posted the following on Kickstarter:

Uwe Eickert wrote:
The Battle of Quebec utilizes the top half of the game map. In addition, we will print extra faction special event cards that pertain to that portion of the conflict. (Remember, the American colonies, Quebec and Nova Scotia all were the same to the people of the era. Eastern Canada could have been part of the USA if things had gone differently.) This scenario refocuses the objectives of the game and is very compelling. Like getting a brand new game in the same box!

1775 Rules are 95% the same as 1812. The major differences are:

1. In 1775, a player may bring his reinforcements into any city on the map, IF he controls the colony. This little detail drives the game strategies and gives this game a totally different feel.

2. In addition, we added French Regulars and German Hessian units and battle dice!

3. The Native American forces are neutral, until either the English or Rebel (American) units ally with them. So both sides can have Native units as part of their forces at the same time!

Those are the differences, but do they change the game play! Now I do not know which game is my favorite, since they play so differently and the strategies are so diverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rule
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He also posted an update to the Battle system involving Natives on both sides.

Quote:
Uwe Eickert

In the rare case when Native units oppose each other in battle, they negate each other out one for one before the battle begins, until only one side has Native units remaining.
Example: 1 yellow English Loyalist and 3 Native units are in battle vs 2 American Regulars, an American Patriot and 1 Native unit. The English and the Americans each take off 1 Native unit, so that the English have 2 Native units remaining. Then the battle begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pulles
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1812 the defender-side always start to roll the dice in a fight. This makes the game static on the borders what i don't like in this otherwise briljant game.

Is this changed in 1775?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zodiak wrote:
In 1812 the defender home-land-side always start to roll the dice in a fight. This makes the game static on the borders what i don't like in this otherwise briljant game.

Is this changed in 1812 1775?
Good question. I'm curious about this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
zodiak wrote:
In 1812 the defender-side always start to roll the dice in a fight. This makes the game static on the borders what i don't like in this otherwise briljant game.

I didn't even know that. When Uwe taught us the game at SPIEL '12, we were taught to all roll our dice at the same time and apply all the results equally. I best read the rules now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pulles
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Uwe himself:
zodiak wrote:

Is this changed in 1775?

His answer is: In 1775, the defender always rolls first, no matter where he is. unless a special card is played.
This is good news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.