The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Base set + Khazad-Dum the most bang for the buck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of spending around $40 on this game, because of the Black Friday sales I can pick up the base set + Khazad-Dum for around $40. Is this the best route to go for penny pinchers? Do the 2 sets play well together for solitaire play?

Edit: Also, would it be worth getting, Massing at Osgiliath Adventure Pack and the Smaug Adventure Pack if I just had the 2 sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Base set + Khazad-Dun the most bang for the buck?
Wetworks wrote:
I'm thinking of spending around $40 on this game, because of the Black Friday sales I can pick up the base set + Khazad-Dun for around $40. Is this the best route to go for penny pinchers? Do the 2 sets play well together for solitaire play?

They are fine. You get more bang for the buck with Khazad-dum than 'normal' APs, and the general consensus is that the scenarios in K-d are better than in many of the APs.

Just be aware that if you like the game (and many find it frustrating - check the forums for advice if you do), you will end up buying more stuff anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
Edit: Also, would it be worth getting, Massing at Osgiliath Adventure Pack and the Smaug Adventure Pack if I just had the 2 sets?

They are pretty difficult scenarios, so I would recommend getting more player cards first. For the best bang for your buck there, I'd suggest Foundations of Stone and Shadow and Flame. Both packs have very strong heroes (Glorfindel v2 and Elrond) and other strong player cards, many of which work extremely well with the hero they come with. These 2 heroes also work very well together in the same deck.

Shadow and Flame is another difficult scenario and I haven't played it yet myself, but I think the Foundations of Stone scenario is one of the better ones available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, I'm also thinking of picking up Return to Mirkwood since I heard Dain synergizes well with Khazad-Dum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, I'm also thinking of picking up Return to Mirkwood since I heard Dain synergizes well with Khazad-Dum.

Totally worth it if you're interested in playing dwarf decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wetworks wrote:

If you are talking "Bang for your Buck", those print-on-demand adventure packs are about the worst option. They only include the quest and encounter cards - no player cards. I've only played Massing at Osgiliath, and it is a lot of fun - very satisfying when you defeat it. But I would strongly suggest picking up other adventure packs for the additional player cards and heroes before you go with the print-on-demand packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
I'm thinking of spending around $40 on this game, because of the Black Friday sales I can pick up the base set + Khazad-Dum for around $40. Is this the best route to go for penny pinchers?

The best route is to buy everything, of course!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only pack I regret buying is Khazad-dum. I am not going to play the quests ever again - quite boring - and I am not using any of the player cards in my ever-changing decks. Zigil was one I had been playing before it got shafted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? There are so many good player cards in this set.

Bifur, Narvi's Belt, Durin's Song, Dwarrowdelf Axe, Khazad! Khazad!, Zigil Miner (still good, just not super awesome anymore), Erebor Record Keeper, Boots from Erebor.

Granted, most of the cards are rather dwarf-focused.

Besides, the encounter cards are needed for the Dwarrowdelf cycle.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, you are right. If I were making a Dwarf deck again soon, I'd be using some of them, the Belt or Record-keeper most likely. I'm just not much into playing with Dwarves. I really liked them in the Hobbit but I can't get excited about them in the game - or as much as for other factions - though they are undoubtly very strong, or too strong one might think.

Just when you compare that box to the upcoming one, we get 16 player cards compared to 11 before, a big improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.