Subject: Can't Decide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about getting this game, can anyone compare it to another game. Especially if you don't looking at my collection and seeing the ones I already like or am interested in.

Thanks, appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just outright bought the game as soon as I received the Tasty Minstrel news letter today without any prior knowledge of the game or how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SockHandPuppet wrote:
I just outright bought the game as soon as I received the Tasty Minstrel news letter today without any prior knowledge of the game or how it works.

That is a really ridiculous way to spend 40 dollars.

After watching a few videos and kind of going over the rules, it looks neat but I'm not sure if I'm overly interested. Most of the reviews seem to be the result of one quick play. I'd like to see what more people think of the game before jumping in.

Edit: I just hypocritically purchased it on a whim. After seeing just how much cardboard is in the box, I can see why 40 dollars is a good deal and how it will likely be hard to find again at this price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brozik
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll consider it if I ever get Ground Floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
Edit: I just hypocritically purchased it on a whim. After seeing just how much cardboard is in the box, I can see why 40 dollars is a good deal and how it will likely be hard to find again at this price.

You buy a game because it has plenty of cardboard or because it is a good game???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, yeah, I suppose that didn't come out right.

The game "seems" like it would be my kind of game but I usually wait it out for awhile so I don't fall in to the hype/ deal trap. With Tasty Minstrel, they have a tendency to run out of copies and their prices are only low for a limited time period. In this case, I noticed the large quantity of bits and pieces and understand why the game's MSRP is so high. At 40 dollars, I just couldn't pass up what could potentially be a great game yet something i would still consider a risk. Moreover, even if I do not like it as much as I think I will, I'm sure it will retain its value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
Haha, yeah, I suppose that didn't come out right.

The game "seems" like it would be my kind of game but I usually wait it out for awhile so I don't fall in to the hype/ deal trap. With Tasty Minstrel, they have a tendency to run out of copies and their prices are only low for a limited time period. In this case, I noticed the large quantity of bits and pieces and understand why the game's MSRP is so high. At 40 dollars, I just couldn't pass up what could potentially be a great game yet something i would still consider a risk. Moreover, even if I do not like it as much as I think I will, I'm sure it will retain its value.

I don't think you will be disappointed, otherwise I would not be selling it at this great deal for the time being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased immediately. The game looks interesting, and I've got faith in Tasty Minstrel Games. I continue to be impressed with the quality of the games they produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
I purchased immediately. The game looks interesting, and I've got faith in Tasty Minstrel Games. I continue to be impressed with the quality of the games they produce.

That's good, but what does it have to do with Noblemen, which TMG have nothing to do with other than a co-printing deal?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
kidohearts wrote:
Thinking about getting this game, can anyone compare it to another game. Especially if you don't looking at my collection and seeing the ones I already like or am interested in.

Thanks, appreciated

Jeremy -

I looked over your collection as you suggested. You have several very nice games.

I like Village almost as much as I like Noblemen. : -- )

In some important ways they are similar. Both games:

- Have lots of tactics / decision points. You have to keep an eye open for what the other players are doing and adjust your actions accordingly. Both games are several races going on at once. In my opinion Noblemen applies more pressure since you never know how many turns you have remaining before the next Masquerade Ball or the next scoring round.

- Have plenty of strategy. Noblemen is not just about tactics. This was important to me when designing Noblemen. It is also one of the reasons I like Village. You can make plans and then work at carrying them out. Even if your plans don’t win you the game you have fun pursuing your strategy.

- Are not as abstract as some others. In Village it’s easy to see the theme of the game. The game pulls you in to its story. Noblemen is arguably less abstract. Each player builds their own estate out of land tiles and wooden buildings. You build gardens, farms, Palaces, chapels and more.

I hope this helps.

- Dwight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it because it looks interesting and TMG generally releases good stuff. I did a little research - maybe half an hour or so. It looks like a game I'll enjoy and my group will play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another buy from someone knowing absolutely nothing about the game. It worked out ok for Village, so I thought I'd try again. I was too lazy to even watch the video, or read anything about it. I did come here to see if there were any reviews. Nope. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the "I bought Noblemen and it was great" threads as well as the "Why did I buy this" threads. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the former rather than the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jeremy -

I looked over your collection as you suggested. You have several very nice games.

I like Village almost as much as I like Noblemen. : -- )

In some important ways they are similar. Both games:

- Have lots of tactics / decision points. You have to keep an eye open for what the other players are doing and adjust your actions accordingly. Both games are several races going on at once. In my opinion Noblemen applies more pressure since you never know how many turns you have remaining before the next Masquerade Ball or the next scoring round.

- Have plenty of strategy. Noblemen is not just about tactics. This was important to me when designing Noblemen. It is also one of the reasons I like Village. You can make plans and then work at carrying them out. Even if your plans don’t win you the game you have fun pursuing your strategy.

- Are not as abstract as some others. In Village it’s easy to see the theme of the game. The game pulls you in to its story. Noblemen is arguably less abstract. Each player builds their own estate out of land tiles and wooden buildings. You build gardens, farms, Palaces, chapels and more.

I hope this helps.

- Dwight

Dwight, thanks about the games and thanks for your reply. I had bought it last night anyway and i'm now excited that you would compare it to Village as I really like that.

appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
SockHandPuppet wrote:

After watching a few videos and kind of going over the rules, it looks neat but I'm not sure if I'm overly interested. Most of the reviews seem to be the result of one quick play. I'd like to see what more people think of the game before jumping in.

Yeah, after watching the Dice Tower review, the game just isn't hooking me, and the only reason I'm looking at it in the first place is because it's on sale. Probably somebody else in my gaming group will buy it, and then I'll be able to try it out, but I don't really care to be the person bringing it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
jkayati wrote:

That's good, but what does it have to do with Noblemen, which TMG have nothing to do with other than a co-printing deal?

B>

Gee, I don't know, maybe the fact that TMG doesn't just co-print and release any old piece of crap game? TMG has plenty to do with bringing the game into the U.S., so I'm trusting Michael's judgement on what would be a game good enough to put the TMG logo on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
jkayati wrote:

B>

Bruce - We reject plenty of games that we get co-publishing opportunities on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm a heavy Eurogamer and Weurogamer (Martin Wallace, Splotter)and I just purchased this. I guess the Black Friday spirit got to me. Hopefully, this will be up my alley!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about availability. Is the Black Friday deal going to be shipped out soon after order is made? Or do e have to wait for product to get into your possesion still? Just Curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Xaqery wrote:

This is great to hear. I think one of the reasons Lords of Waterdeep took off is because it has the same feel. In other games, you can easily be thwarted by another player at a key moment, thus creating a situation where your plans fall apart. I like that in some games, but a game is a lot more 'fun' (in a light-hearted, I enjoyed playing it; instead of a cut-throat, I enjoyed winning it; way) when you are building something as well.

Quote:

Yea, I was going to read and watch some videos, but I took a look at a picture and it seemed like this really shines through. For $40, I'll risk it on a game that looks like this one does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Olson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
SockHandPuppet wrote:

Wen I bought it, I looked at it as saving $35. This way, there's no way ill be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
Question about availability. Is the Black Friday deal going to be shipped out soon after order is made? Or do e have to wait for product to get into your possesion still? Just Curious

The product is in the warehouse, but it will take a couple of days to get it all shipped, and that will start on Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
MadStork wrote:
Wen I bought it, I looked at it as saving $35. This way, there's no way ill be disappointed.

I have a bridge that you might be interested in purchasing. It's valued at $1,000,000 dollars; I'll let you have it for $40, but only if you buy it today. That's a savings of $999,960! I guarantee you won't be disappointed. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario De Super
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
MadStork wrote:

I have a bridge that you might be interested in purchasing. It's valued at $1,000,000 dollars; I'll let you have it for $40, but only if you buy it today. That's a savings of $999,960! I guarantee you won't be disappointed. arrrh

If you have a product that can make certain posts go away, I might pay $40 for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:

The product is in the warehouse, but it will take a couple of days to get it all shipped, and that will start on Monday.

Excellent. I'm a preorder too. I preordered because TMG has provided great value deals for me in the past, like the "Belfort Bundle." Still haven't figured out Jab, but Belfort has given me a lot of pleasure after I took a chance on it.

Michael, perhaps you could start a new thread briefly updating shipping status? It's good for those of us who may be trying to arrange to be home for a delivery. Nothing fancy, just a ballpark would work. (This was the ONE PROBLEM I had with your great Noblemen offer btw--perhaps a "sale ends Monday, then we ship it RIGHT OUT!" might have worked...or even goosed sales.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.