Mark Tietsort
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


A few clarifying questions on rules to Fantastiqa,

First, Can you choose not to do a action on your turn? For example you are next to the quest statue and you choose not visit the statue, go adventuring, or to complete a quest? I figure this would be really Rare, and there is the very rare occasion you could not move, but in one game a player actually at one point could not move and did not want a quest. We decided that you had to perform one action, and made him visit the statue, is this correct?

Second and the most important one to clarify, is with the Magic Carpet. Can you go adventuring and subdue a creature between to adjacent lands, then use a magic carpet to get over a creature you cannot or do not wish to subdue, then continue to subdue additional creatures between lands. We have played this way, but it seems you should have to use this free action before or after you perform a main action? We also assume you can use multiple magic carpets if you wish, To travel twice if need be?

Third, can you exchange cards under there at anytime, or only after you have the max of five cards. For example, I commit cards for both open quests, one of the quests gets completed by another player, so now I want to take a committed card back, however I only have three cards face down, can I take cards back? I feel like once they are committed you should not be able to take them back until younuse them to complete a quest. I think the rules elude to this, but then the question comes to peaceful dragons and cards committed that no longer apply to open quests.

Thank You
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiets wrote:


A few clarifying questions on rules to Fantastiqa,

First, Can you choose not to do a action on your turn? For example you are next to the quest statue and you choose not visit the statue, go adventuring, or to complete a quest? I figure this would be really Rare, and there is the very rare occasion you could not move, but in one game a player actually at one point could not move and did not want a quest. We decided that you had to perform one action, and made him visit the statue, is this correct?


Taking a Turn Action is optional.

Tiets wrote:

Second and the most important one to clarify, is with the Magic Carpet. Can you go adventuring and subdue a creature between to adjacent lands, then use a magic carpet to get over a creature you cannot or do not wish to subdue, then continue to subdue additional creatures between lands. We have played this way, but it seems you should have to use this free action before or after you perform a main action? We also assume you can use multiple magic carpets if you wish, To travel twice if need be?


Rules in the game require that you play Free Actions (which includes Flying Carpets) before and/or after one's Turn Action, NOT during it. The reason for this rule is that things can get very messy if you can play (say) a Rogue's Purse DURING your Turn Action when buying things, etc. So according to the rules, you can't play a Flying Carpet in between subduing Creatures. However, you could always make that a House Rule!

Yes, you can play multiple Flying Carpets in a row, no problem. There is no limit on the number of Free Actions you take on your turn, so long as you have the means required to perform them.

Note: with a Double Espresso artifact (or Espresso Dragons variant) you could Go Adventuring, and then play your extra Turn Action which would also let you play more Flying Carpets before you Go Adventuring again, should you choose to to do (you're permitted to perform unlimited Free Actions before and after ANY turn action, including extra Turn Actions...)

Tiets wrote:

Third, can you exchange cards under there at anytime, or only after you have the max of five cards. For example, I commit cards for both open quests, one of the quests gets completed by another player, so now I want to take a committed card back, however I only have three cards face down, can I take cards back? I feel like once they are committed you should not be able to take them back until younuse them to complete a quest. I think the rules elude to this, but then the question comes to peaceful dragons and cards committed that no longer apply to open quests.

Thank You


The 1-5 face-down cards under the Quest Token can be ANY type of card, including a Peaceful Dragon, and at any time you can withdraw these cards and put them in your discard pile. You do not have to be at 5 cards first in order to withdraw and discard these cards.

The most important thing to remember on these lines is this: once you've committed a card to a Quest (either for a Personal Quest or for an Open Quest under the Quest token) you may only A) use this card for the Quest or B) withdraw and discard it. You may never take committed cards back into your hand. (!)

(Note that you could play a Bitter Brew card to give an opponent that nasty Peaceful Dragon you have stashed under your Quest Token--though technically you'd need to discard the card first, and then put it in an opponent's discard pile.)

Thanks for these questions!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cwissy
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Further clarification, please, re: cards committed to quests that a player wants to withdraw. Does the player have to pull all of them to discard? Ex. If a player has 4 cards secretly committed to open quests and two of them are now useless since an opponent claimed the quest they were committed for. Could that player withdraw those two and leave the others? This question also applies to personal quests.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chrdona1970 wrote:
Further clarification, please, re: cards committed to quests that a player wants to withdraw. Does the player have to pull all of them to discard? Ex. If a player has 4 cards secretly committed to open quests and two of them are now useless since an opponent claimed the quest they were committed for. Could that player withdraw those two and leave the others? This question also applies to personal quests.


You may withdraw and discard as many or as few cards as you like which are already committed to a Personal Quest or under a Quest Token.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
Tiets wrote:

Second and the most important one to clarify, is with the Magic Carpet. Can you go adventuring and subdue a creature between to adjacent lands, then use a magic carpet to get over a creature you cannot or do not wish to subdue, then continue to subdue additional creatures between lands. We have played this way, but it seems you should have to use this free action before or after you perform a main action? We also assume you can use multiple magic carpets if you wish, To travel twice if need be?

Rules in the game require that you play Free Actions (which includes Flying Carpets) before and/or after one's Turn Action, NOT during it. The reason for this rule is that things can get very messy if you can play (say) a Rogue's Purse DURING your Turn Action when buying things, etc. So according to the rules, you can't play a Flying Carpet in between subduing Creatures. However, you could always make that a House Rule!

We got this wrong on our first play as well! modest

To substantiate Alf's answer with reference to the rulebook:

On the top of page 10, it states quite unambiguously under Free Actions: "The following Free Actions can be performed both before and after your Turn Action (but not during it)" (emphasis mine). Using a Flying Carpet is a free action that falls into this category, since is requires using a Treasure Token or a Card's Special Power.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.