Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Dueck
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like if I want to build a mostly Imperial Navy deck splashing a specific Sith card I should just include the objective containing that card x2 and 8 Imperial Navy objectives. Then to give my deck the best chance satisfy resource matches, I choose Sith as my affiliation.

Does this seem backwards to anyone else? Have I missed a rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
ruggedscooter wrote:
It seems like if I want to build a mostly Imperial Navy deck splashing a specific Sith card I should just include the objective containing that card x2 and 8 Imperial Navy objectives. Then to give my deck the best chance satisfy resource matches, I choose Sith as my affiliation.

Does this seem backwards to anyone else? Have I missed a rule?

No seems like a completely viable option. You could miss out on Navy only cards though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you can do that, but like scott said is you will miss out on navy only cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think the point is that you'll have a lot of Navy-specific resources in the form of objectives and then units or whatever that you play with the resources on your Navy objectives. The Sith affiliation would just be used for those few cards that need it.

I hadn't thought of that - it's an interesting idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not only a good idea, it's pretty much the ideal way to go about it. If you go with 50/50 decks, there's a chance of deck failure if the objectives you draw match the affiliation card you're playing with - the cards in the other affiliation won't be able to be played unless you've included and drawn cards with auto-resource matching effects. So going for 7/3 and 8/2 decks, with the affiliation card in the minor faction, is the safer way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Zombie
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I like the thinking here, but I think I read that some objectives are affiliation specific. If your deck is Navy you'll want to include those in your deck, but to do so you'll need to have the the Navy card in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZombie wrote:
I like the thinking here, but I think I read that some objectives are affiliation specific. If your deck is Navy you'll want to include those in your deck, but to do so you'll need to have the the Navy card in play.

I just checked all the objectives; there's only one affiliation-specific objective for each faction in the Core set:

Journey to Dagobah, Jedi
Mobilize the Squadrons, Rebels
Heart of the Empire, Sith
The Ultimate Power, Navy

Powerful objectives to sacrifice for this deckbuilding technique, but you could definitely get away with it.

Edit: and after looking at the full card blocks, there's no reason the affiliation-specific objectives wouldn't be quit effective in primarily off-affiliation decks. IMHO, of course. Still need to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taran Wanderer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Don't forget about the two objectives(Rumors at the Cantina, Looking for Droids) that ignore resource matching. They also come with Command Deck cards that do the same temporarily, in case you don't get the objective. I'm going to try a Rebel Allaince deck with 3 Jedi Objectives, 5 Rebel, 1 Smuggler, and that neutral to see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally going to build a Rebel heavy deck with Jedi affiliation just to splash A Journey to Dagobah. Red Five is just sick when it comes to destroying objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Zombie
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I guess my concern wouldn't be that the off affliation wouldn't work well, but that you would lose the ones designed more for the affliation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I would venture a guess that, if you have any intention of playing the Scum & villainy or Spies & Smugglers card sets, you're going to want that specific affiliation card, even if it is just for 1/10th of your deck. I guess, unless you want to go mono, I would always put in the affiliation card for the faction that you have the fewest card sets from.

I presume this may change as more sets bring more cards to the pool. Right now, barring a huge discrepancy between the number of each affiliation sets in my deck, I am just going to pick based on which of the unique Objectives (helpfully listed in the post above) strikes me as the coolest at the time.
Each one brings something neat to the game: Trench Run, R2 and Red 5, three(!) resources per turn, or Superlaser! Tough choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Larsson
Sweden
Lomma
Skåne
flag msg tools
It might be that we will see "dual affiliation" objectives down the line, there are so very many possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.