Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Are there any good Pokémon-type games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yeah, I like the Pokémon video games, despite being somewhat older than the target audience for that particular genre. My brother introduced me to Blue way back in the GameBoy Color days, and I've been playing the various iterations on and off ever since (I also run Pokéthulhu on occasions).

So I was wondering if there was a Pokémon-ish board game that doesn't suck. I have no interest in CCGs so Pokémon Trading Card Game's out, and my search of the 'Geek reveals a whole lot of games that frankly look terrible.

Things I like about the video games:
* The rock-paper-scissors type elemental weakness thing
* Breeding creatures together to get new types, and "evolution"*
* Good old-fashioned violence/battles
* Strategy - selecting the right creatures to make a team that works with my style of play, selecting the right moves for each creatures, etc.
* Tactics - figuring out which creature/move to use against a particular opponent, when to heal, when to swap creatures out, etc.
* Cute and/or impressive-looking monsters

Anyone have any thoughts?

*Okay, I have to rant. Evolution's the wrong word, and something like "metamorphosis" would have worked much better. /biologygeekrant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
England
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm as far as board games go I don't think there are any great one's.

I have played http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1381/pokemon-master-t... once and it was a long game. But it was fun for me as I love the pokemon theme. there is Pokemon Master trainer 2 and 3 out too.

I'm unsure of any others except CCG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
England
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:

*Okay, I have to rant. Evolution's the wrong word, and something like "metamorphosis" would have worked much better. /biologygeekrant

In the game and the tv show they are said to Evolve so Evolution would be the right word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about board games but I found The Dragon Quest Monster series a great breeding game on NDS/3DS beside the Pokemon games. I'm making a board game for that theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NecrisPhyder wrote:
silverleaf79 wrote:

In the game and the tv show they are said to Evolve so Evolution would be the right word.

I meant that the games/TV show had used the incorrect word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NecrisPhyder wrote:
hmmm as far as board games go I don't think there are any great one's.

I have played http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1381/pokemon-master-t... once and it was a long game. But it was fun for me as I love the pokemon theme. there is Pokemon Master trainer 2 and 3 out too.

I'm unsure of any others except CCG's.

I'll have a look at that one, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultracheng wrote:
Don't know about board games but I found The Dragon Quest Monster series a great breeding game on NDS/3DS beside the Pokemon games. I'm making a board game for that theme.

Cool! That sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you just reminded me of one of my favorite series of video games ever, the Monster Rancher series. Monster Rancher

Those games were outstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
England
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:
NecrisPhyder wrote:
silverleaf79 wrote:

I meant that the games/TV show had used the incorrect word.

well they needed kids to be able to say it. Evolution/Evolved is easier to say than Metamorphosis (especially for kids nowadays)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CALL OF CTHULHU LCG

Well, there are not cute monsters, there are monsters though and other strange/scary humans and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.