Subject: The extra card in a power play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Berger
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello:

There is a rule in the advanced game I am unsure. Rule 7 on page 21 of the instruction booklet says "after a Power Play has been attempted and played, the extra face down card is given to the Power Player regardless if the Power Play was successful or unsuccessful. PLEASE NOTE: the extra card could be helpful or harmful. In either vase it belongs to the Power Player and could result in a penalty being paid to him or by him."

what does that mean? For example, does the player get the card to be played the next hand or is it given to the player at the end of the Power Play and is part of that Power Play hand? This is of critical importance if that extra card was necessary to complete a power play like if the extra card was a Wizard and the power play was to capture all wizards. It would seem a bit unfair if you couldn't be successful in completing power play if that extra card was necessary to complete it. Yet the language of the rule implies this when it states that the extra card could result in a penalty paid by him because it is impossible for the extra card to result in a penalty paid by the power player if he is unsuccessful. That card is irrelevant. The card on the other hand would always be beneficial to that player if it was necessary to complete the Power Play if belong to the player as part of the Power Play hand.

Is it me over reading this because I find the language in the rule highly confusing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Berry
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always read this to mean you get the card at the end of the power play as if it had been won as part of a trick. That way you can choose to power play even if that card was a necessary part of the power play. I agree the wording is confusing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Berger
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I agree with your interpretation of the rule, but the rule is utterly confusing with inclusion of the language starting with PLEASE NOTE....If the drafters left that out the rule would not be such a head scratcher because the only way that card can be both good or bad is if it was played the NEXT hand. It can't ever be bad if it was given to the Power Player as part of the power play. It is either good in that the extra card completes a successful power play or is superfluous if the power play is unsuccessful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Berry
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agree. It seems like they wrote this thinking the Power player would be charged for each card taken as opposed to a flat fee for a power play failure. The wording doesn't match the scoring.

One more house rule. If the Prince of Warriors is the lone card we don't allow a power play as this card would be given automatically. We just felt that was too cheesy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Resler
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I know this is an old thread but thought I would chime in. I've never found the rule to be confusing. The extra card could help your succeed in the Power Play or hurt you if you fail. For example, if you're playing Wizards and the extra card is a Wizard then you only need to take three Wizards to be successful. However, if you don't then you'll have to play 2,000 in crystals to the current Dragonmaster for that Wizard, thus it hurt you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbgandalf wrote:
Fully agree. It seems like they wrote this thinking the Power player would be charged for each card taken as opposed to a flat fee for a power play failure. The wording doesn't match the scoring.

One more house rule. If the Prince of Warriors is the lone card we don't allow a power play as this card would be given automatically. We just felt that was too cheesy!

since the extra card is face down (i.e. unseen) how do you know if the Price of Warriors is the face down card and thus a power play isn't allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
fresler wrote:
I know this is an old thread but thought I would chime in. I've never found the rule to be confusing. The extra card could help your succeed in the Power Play or hurt you if you fail. For example, if you're playing Wizards and the extra card is a Wizard then you only need to take three Wizards to be successful. However, if you don't then you'll have to play 2,000 in crystals to the current Dragonmaster for that Wizard, thus it hurt you.

no, this is incorrect. there is only a face down card if someone is attempting a power play. if the DM has the dragon card, he cannot attempt a PP, so he must discard the dragon and replace it with the face down card. or if another player with the Dragon card chooses not to attempt a PP, then he discards the dragon and replaces it with the face down card and the hand is played as normal.

so there is only a face down card during the trick if a player is attempting a PP. and either that player succeeds (and everyone pays her) or fails (and she pays the DM the full 8,000).

so if she is attempting a wizards PP, for example, and finishes the hand with 0-3 wizards, she pays the DM 8,000 and the other two players DO NOT PAY ANYONE ANYTHING, regardless of whether they took any wizards.

and if she finishes with all 4 wizards, even if one was the face down card, then the PP is successful and everyone else (DM and other players) pays her 10,000 each.

in a secret power play, the player still gets paid as if it were a regular PP if successful, and everyone pays the DM as normal if not successful. but a secret PP can only be attempted if the player who had the dragon decided NOT to attempt a regular PP, and so will have taken the center card and discarded the dragon.

remember that the DM can never attempt any PP or SPP. if the DM or power player calls the runesword/runeswordPP hand, the dragonlords/dragonlordsPP hand, or the staff of power/staff of power PP hand, then she cannot lead the *first* trick with a card of the same suit (warriors or dragonlords, respectively, for runesword or dragonlords; both, for staff of power). this includes the dragon.

remember that a SPP is not allowed for "First or Last" hand or for the Runesword hand. remember also that the SPP can only be attempted for the hand called by the DM; if the DM calls Dragonlords, for example, you cannot do a SPP on a different hand such as Wizards, even if the Wizards hand has not been played yet and is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.