Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have around $30 (willing to go a little over) to fill a spot in my next csi order

My order already contains:
- Bottle Imp
- Catacombs
- Dominion: Intrigue

I'm looking for a game that:
- Plays under 2 hours
- Is suitable as a next-step game for my family (assume they've played Pandemic and Catan)
- Is in print
- Bonus points if it plays 3 players, but playing 2 is okay if it's really good

My collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/hiimjosh

Some ideas I had were: Small World, Puerto Rico, and Samurai. I'm hesitant on each of these though (not sure Small World is heavy/interesting enough, I think I'll smoke people in Puerto Rico, not sure if abstract feel of Samurai will sway people)

EDIT:
Some more about my family:
- Say Anything went okay
- Dominion flopped
- Catan went well
- Pandemic went really well
- Lost Cities/Battle Line went really well
- Jaipur went well, but I was smoking people
- Munchkin flopped
- Betrayal at House on the Hill went really well, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the mechanics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame is a great choice for something a step down from Puerto Rico in complexity while still giving the serious gamers something to chew and not overwhelm the casual players.

Stone Age is also a good second step but will likely be left on the shelf when you graduate to the likes of Agricola or Caylus.

The Castles of Burgundy would be a slightly bolder next step from the above but is a very good game that has been enjoyed by the non gamers I have taught it to.

Oh and you say Dominion flopped, but you are getting Intrigue?

If you are hoping to double down with Intrigue and turn your group around on Dominion, I am afraid your gamble will not pay off. I can't see one Dominion expansion turning anyone's opinion of the game as a whole around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Notre Dame is a great choice for something a step down from Puerto Rico in complexity while still giving the serious gamers something to chew and not overwhelm the casual players.

Stone Age is also a good second step but will likely be left on the shelf when you graduate to the likes of Agricola or Caylus.

The Castles of Burgundy would be a slightly bolder next step from the above but is a very good game that has been enjoyed by the non gamers I have taught it to.

If you are hoping to double down with Intrigue and turn your group around on Dominion, I am afraid your gamble will not pay off. I can't see one Dominion expansion turning anyone's opinion of the game as a whole around.

How does Notre Dame play with 2? I watched a tutorial on it awhile back, I'll need to watch it again.

Yeah, I'm mostly getting Intrigue for myself. It flopped with my family, but I have a friend who likes MtG and sold all his cards. I already know all of the cards in the base set of Dominion back and forth, so I'm hoping this adds a little flavor (although I do already hate the attack cards in the base set and I hear Intrigue is harsher). I might just swap it out for another game mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:
casualgod wrote:

How does Notre Dame play with 2? I watched a tutorial on it awhile back, I'll need to watch it again.

Yeah, I'm mostly getting Intrigue for myself. I have a friend who likes MtG but sold all his cards. I already know all of the cards in the base set of Dominion back and forth, so I'm hoping this adds a little flavor (although I do already hate the attack cards in the base set and I hear Intrigue is harsher). I might just swap it out for another game mentioned.

Notre Dame plays very well with 2. You play with 4 player boards in order to add more messages to pick up with your coaches. In that way, you actually have more choices in the 2 player than you get in the 3 players. In addition, the way the card drafting works - draw three, pass two, keep one and pass again - means you will get 2 of your 3 cards you draw each turn, adding a little more strategy to the card drafting than you get with 3-5 players.

Re: Dominion. Intrigue is a great expansion, arguably the best, but in terms of adding variety, I think Seaside is where you need to go next. Intrigue is almost more of the same (only a little more interesting) when compared to the base box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try Thurn and Taxis and see if route building is something else they like.

You have Stone Age -- have you tried that, and how did that go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How Many Players? Play This..... (2012 Edition)

San Juan is one from the list that I liked a lot and it plays best at 2-3 even though it goes to four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.