Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Commerce Raider chit is on the Morale Track. During the Domestic Phase, the player performs a Morale Test. Does the presence of the Commerce Raider give the player a +1 DRM per 16.3? That seems counter-intuitive. Shouldn't the presence of the Commerce Raider in this circumstance grant a -1 DRM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
I think its a wording issue. Technically its an Infrastructure Check and not a Morale Check. Where the rule says "perform a morale check (with all the usual DRM..." the intent was to use the same mechanic as a morale check with different results. This will have to clarified in TLC2. To answer your question for the purposes of an Infrastructure check go ahead and use a -1 DRM. Though I would argue while the Commerce Raiders might boost morale they didn't have much impact on Infrastucture.

Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I went back and took a look at the Advanced Game Reference Sheet. Yep, during the Domestic Phase, it is called an Infrastructure (Morale) Test. But, thinking about it, I'm not sure there is a distinctive difference between infrastructure and morale. To me, for the South, the two are intertwined. I can't imagine the South infrastructure being great and morale lousy or vice-versa. I'll admit is it possibe. But, it seems very unlikely or unusual. The core dynamic of the game is the South trying to maintain their defensive perimeter to maintain their infrastructure and morale. As the Union makes inroads, Confederate infrastructure is weakened and so too is their morale. I don't seem a meaningful distinction.

Thus, in the case of the Commerce Raiders on the Morale track, this gets a beneficial DRM for the South because it is emblamatic of their ability to defy the Union blockade, which is good for Confederate infrastructure and morale. Remember, the Commerce Raider doesn't guarantee success on this roll, it just helps. If Confederate morale is in the toilet, chances are the Commerce Raider won't be decisive. It might, but not likely. And if the Confederates want to risk this resource for this purpose, that should be their call. Then again, the situation might be so desperate it might seem like a reasonable risk. Let the Confederates decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.