Carrier» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealed Air Strength with Waves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Olinger

Loma Linda
California
msg tools
I’ve been learning how to play Carrier for almost 2 weeks now and I haven’t had any problems until the sixth scenario, which covers Japanese airstrikes (section 15.0). I’m having trouble figuring out what procedure to perform to properly conduct a Japanese air attack. I am especially having trouble if the air attack strength table results are in two waves. Assuming a level 2, 2-3 carrier force is activated to make an air attack (the first attack it has made and thus has no revealed air strength or lost/unavailable points) and the level 1 and 2 air attack strength table die roll is “10” which gives a two wave attack of 9/9, is the revealed air strength 9 or is it 18?
Also, on page 39 under “lost and unavailable air points,” “level 1 and 2 forces,” #2 is difficult to understand what it means about the bulleted point of using “the sum of the first and second wave strengths as the initial strength on the 1-2 attack strength reduction chart. In all cases, subtract points from the second wave until that wave is reduced to zero strength; then subtract any excess from the first wave.” What do you subtract? Can you give me an example of what to do when your result is in the two waves, not just one number like the example in the second column on page 39 of the Carrier Rule Book? Can you check out this question:
Revealed Air Strength: 6 Air Losses: 3
Land/ Strength/Loss/Survivors
4----------3---------3---------0
6----------3---------1---------2

Let’s say it is turn five and the log sheet has this recorded when a Japanese airstrike is activated. If you roll a “10” on the “air attack strength table (level 1 and 2 forces)” and use the column for “L2, 2-3 and “6” revealed air strength, which gives a two-wave result of “4/3,” would you then when you consult the “level 1 and 2 attack strength reduction chart” cross-reference the number “6” on the “points lost/unavailable” with “4+3” which is “7” (the sum of the two waves together for the initial strength), which gives a result of 3? If that is correct, do you then subtract 3 from the second wave (4/3) which leaves 4, and then write the attack strength as a one-wave attack of 4, and update the revealed air strength as 10? Using this method, a two-wave attack becomes a single strike.
This is what I’m stuck with and this part is not easy for me to figure out. If you can help I would really appreciate it! What do you subtract from the second wave, and then the first? If a strike is in two waves, what is the revealed air strength?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit rusty on the rules but here goes:

For a two-wave strike, the revealed air strength is the sum of the two waves (9/9 = 18). The waves consist of different aircraft, hence they must be combined.

For the lost and unavailable air points, if you have a 9/9 strike, you use the 18 column on the 1-2 attack strength reduction chart. Say you have 6 points of lost/unavailable air strength, then the strike is reduced to 15. So you must subtract 3 points from the second wave. The strike becomes 9/6. If you needed to subtract more than 9 points, then the second wave is lost completely and the excess points are taken from the first wave.

Now to think about your last question (it looks complicated!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think you can now work out your example using the information in my answer above (assuming it is correct!). (Although it looks like the strike should be 5/4 rather than 4/3 from the table). However, assuming a 4/3 strike, then you are correct - there is a 3 point reduction required, resulting in loss of the second wave completely. The new revealed air strength is indeed 10: 6 points of losses/unavailable air + 4 points in the new strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.