msg tools
Is solo good or is it gimped?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie Englehart
msg tools

It's actually pretty good, considering the fact that the two more ' player ' oriented schemes are said to be left out. I've done it several times- kicking the Mastermind's butt is pretty easy. Unless you have the Midtown Bank Robbery Scheme, and end up with one person in the bank with Scheme Twist after Scheme Twist comes up. ( I did myself briefly, one Juggernaut ended up with 19 attack to take down. Good thing I got rid of Magneto when I did! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael A

California
msg tools
Its easy to ramp up the difficulty for solo play. So far i am 2-1 solo and 0-1 2 player but I have ramped up the difficulty for every game. Really fun and addicting game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
White Hall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice: once solo and once four player. Solo wasn't bad, but I'd say I prefer playing with a group.

In my solo game, I randomly picked every cars and ended up with the Midtown Bank Robbery as my scheme and Black Widow as one of my heroes. There's a lot of bystanders in the Villain deck, and I got her Rare card that allows her to auto-defeat a villain or mastermind who kidnaps a bystander, so it seemed to be a cake walk for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongol wrote:
I've played it twice: once solo and once four player. Solo wasn't bad, but I'd say I prefer playing with a group.

In my solo game, I randomly picked every cars and ended up with the Midtown Bank Robbery as my scheme and Black Widow as one of my heroes. There's a lot of bystanders in the Villain deck, and I got her Rare card that allows her to auto-defeat a villain or mastermind who kidnaps a bystander, so it seemed to be a cake walk for me.

While I get that this specific scenario hurts gameplay, what I do love is that it makes perfect thematic sense.
In a bank hostage situation - you'd want a precision tactical strike, so Black Widow would be the perfect hero to send on this sort of mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo version of the game is very easy. Sadly, the only thing that the suggestions to raise difficulty given in the rulebook do is make it more likely that the game will end in a draw by having the villain deck run out. Don't misunderstand me though, the solo version is still very fun.

I think I might try a variant where you play two cards from the villain deck at the start of your turn and see if that makes the scheme more of a threat and gives the heart-pounding feeling I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
White Hall
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about drawing another card from the villain deck when a Master Strike or Scheme Twist comes up? That may ratchet up the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Is solo good or is it gimped?

The fact that it has solo play at all is a huge plus. I think it works just fine and you have multiple ways to make it as hard as you want. The out of the box solo play is great to learn the game, but I think you will soon want to make it more challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many new users!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Now, I only have three games under my belt (two, 2-player and a single solo.)

I went completely random for the solo and drew the Dark Portal Scheme and Loki. Can't remember all the hero and villain decks at the moment, but I lost (only got able to hit Loki twice.)

The Dark Portal twists boost to Loki made him 11 Fight - twists came out quickly and I got overrun.

But that's what makes this game near the top of my deckbuilder list - solo and the sheer amount of combinations (Mastermind - Scheme - Villain) can make for a very different and challenging experience. The fact that I could setup and play a solo game in 45-minutes was a big plus.

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just that exact combination random !

And also lost severely hitting Loki only once.

Statements above mentioning the game is too easy are probable from people having only tried the game once or twice with Red Skull.

The scheme will drastically change the difficulty rating of a given session.

I would recommend play a configuration once, and increase level if it was too easy.

The only variant I am willing to make is too always play ultimate (eg Need to attack the Mastermind's top card, and everytime I hit the MM, I use 1D4 dice to increase its strenght by one from +0 up to +4.

Amazing game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention, with only 3 villain groups in solo, the villain deck is awfully short making the Virus and Dark Dimension scheme extremely difficult if at all not doable (?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.