Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once, a two player solo game just to get the rules down. I found that, particularly early in the game, a typical turn was buy a card/play it. This left nothing useful available for the third action; the only action possible being speculate, which felt like I might be doing something wrong.

Neither player seemed to build up a hand at all during the game, so perhaps we should have spent more early turns taking two buy actions, taking the zero cost cards to subsequently sell for extra cash...

Just curious because I could picture my gaming group becoming quickly frustrated with the seeming lack of useful options, and I so want this to be a hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget the speculate action, if you see any cards that are likely to be popular and you've got a spare cube and action, stick a cube on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's what we were doing, but it was the *only* action we could do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, that's how we played in our first couple of games, but then someone schooled us by building up a hand of useful cards early on and then using them at the perfect moment later on. I usually have two or three cards in hand now. It's particularly useful to hold cards that change the regime to the topple type that you're aiming for, so you can play one and then immediately buy the topple.

Also, as soon as there are enterprises in play, there are actions to be spent on buying land and upgrading connections to build up your income too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Martin - that is as I thought. It's very useful to be able to offer these general strategy tips right at the beginning - people in my group hate being guided but if I can give them that steer before we start it will be a real boon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speculation is really useful, even if it doesn't seem like that: you are speculating to protect a card you need or just to make it harder for another player to get it. Harder not beacuse he will have to spend more but because he is helping you!
And even if the other player does buy the card you wanted to protect, those 4-8$ can mean a LOT. Money drives this game!

Besides that, I would really advice to go for 2 cards when possible. You want to have back-up cards and specially armies to be able to have a reserve of unplayed points and the possibility to change the regime at the right moment.

May I shamelessly recommend my strategy thread?

(and of course, Martin's Introduction!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've already got both printed out - invaluable, thankyou!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speculation, sell a card, something, anything!

A lot of cards allow two action turns to be taken as a single action.

It improves as the game develops.

You will need all the actions you can get!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.