Subject: Gondor Deck Hero Suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Horwath

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
Hey everyone
So after the release of HON, I have been eyeing a Gondor Deck. But the hardest part is where to start. There are five different (and one remake) heroes of the Gondor sphere. The new Boromir seems like an obvious choice, because he helps all of the Gondor allies. But the other two are the question. It seems good to get in multiple spheres for the multiple types of characters, and also, Gondor needs a decent questing hero, but Imrahil with Boromir would probably be too much. So, any ideas? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Why not Imrahil? Imrahil,Denethor,Boromir and lot of Gondor allies sound quite good. But i still Dont have A HON so im not sure so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking about this. I still have a hard time pushing myself into including the new Boromir over the original one as I found that card so strong with such a huge potential. At the same time I totally wish to try the new one out and find new potentials.

I feel coop fits the new Boromir version best. But we will know more at the end of this cycle. It is good to see a few Gondor allies. I feel the Outlands strategy will prove quite strong, Ethir Swordsmen could build up a lot of cheap willpower. I like the Hunter of Lamedon to that combo and we should hopefully see more soon. Boromir really needs a lot of cheap allies to build the Might of Gondor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, Leadership and Lore have the most Gondor allies (four each) so, to me, that seems to lead me towards Imrahil, Denethor, and Boromir(new). However, you could try a tri-sphere Gondor deck using the resource movement abilities (and Steward of Gondor) to make it easier and even enable a deck that leaned more towards one or two spheres than trying to have all three spheres perfectly balanced.

I like doing tri-sphere when I'm trying to make a thematic deck because it increases the amount of theme-related cards you can include.

I would then try

Boromir/Denethor/Beregond
or
Imrahil/Denethor/Boromir (old)
or
Boromir (new), Eleanor, Denethor

One important thing to remember is that it isn't as important to have a hero with high willpower because of the Seige and Battle keywords. You could possibly get away with a spread that had two good defenders and 1 good attacker and then use Faramir to boost your willpower if you get to a section of the quest that uses normal questing.

edit: new or old Aragorn would also make an awesome hero for a Gondor deck because he already has dunedain and old Aragorn has noble which combos with some new cards and you can put Steward of Gondor on him and give him the Gondor trait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
The problem with all-round Gondor line-up is the questing. Imrahil is the only 2 willpower hero there so far. It is just nowhere near enough. We will need a way to boost this up, and we will need a high questing Gondor hero, Faramir seems an obvious choice, though then we lose his cool quest-boosting ability as an ally.

And then one needs Spirit to win a majority of the quests right now. I do not think that will change any time soon. Eleanor is the only Gondor Spirit hero, and to me she is quite weak.

Denethor is good solo. But you take Denethor, Eleanor and Boromir and you quest for 1 or 2 at best at the start (well, unless you go crazy or very lucky). I think to build a solid deck around the Outlands guys will soon be possible but not now, and still, you need a good questing hero not to fall too much behind right away.

Matt, I hadn't seen your post when I was writing mine. I agree DĂșnedain should qualify thematically, at least till we get a broader range of pure Gondor heroes.

I feel battle and siege will not change the fact you need willpower to win. I think there still shall be stages with neither keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.