BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is it a good idea to facebook marketing for games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Cui
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello everybody,

I've just established a Facebook site for my Paper and Pencil Games Series. But I'm not sure whether it is effective and viable, and really need your ideas and suggestions. Is there somebody ever trying to market your game through Facebook?

Anyway, please find my Facebook page as follows. I'm planning to post some free games to the site.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paper-and-Pencil-Games/3889255...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried the link, and I was met with a Facebook log-in/sign-up page.

I've seen some other links to Facebook where at least some pages are visible without logging in.

By now, if people aren't on Facebook, they probably don't want to be. Don't flatter yourself that your potentially interesting bit of unseen content will make them change their minds. So since nothing is available to people that aren't on Facebook, they won't see anything, and will just move on.

I'm not saying not to be on Facebook. I imagine a presence there is probably a good marketing step to reach some people, but I can't see what you have done there.

Anyway, Good luck with marketing your game series

Edit: I went back a couple days later, to see if you made something visible. I got the same facebook-log-in page, but this time I noticed I could close that window without registering. I'm not sure if that is a change or just something I didn't notice last time.

So now I see basic descriptions of several games, but never enough to try anything out. I guess if you gave too much away then there would be nothing you could sell, but frankly I didn't see anything that would entice me to look further. I'm not sure if the games just aren't that great, or the descriptions don't do them justice. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a paper and pencil game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked out & "liked" your site. It looks interesting, I'll have to take a closer look later.

As mentioned not everyone is on facebook. So don't stop trying to promote your work with that. However tons of folks are on facebook and in terms of marketing anything that gets you visibility is good. If it's free, like facebook, all the better. You might want to track who accesses your games from where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with others that allthough it is a good idea to use it, if you are on facebook commercialy, you should have your settings so that people can see your site without logging in to facebook.

Apart from that, it is definitely a bad idea to randomly spam the BGG forums with this question (I refer to seeing the same question asked in chit chat, and you have possibly also asked it in other places here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpcui wrote:
Hello everybody,

I've just established a Facebook site for my Paper and Pencil Games Series. But I'm not sure whether it is effective and viable, and really need your ideas and suggestions. Is there somebody ever trying to market your game through Facebook?

Anyway, please find my Facebook page as follows. I'm planning to post some free games to the site.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paper-and-Pencil-Games/3889255...

As you've already done what you asked about, all you need to do is wait, measure, and find out the answer for yourself! When you do, please post again so that others can learn from your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Tradewinds Ted wrote:
Just tried the link, and I was met with a Facebook log-in/sign-up page.

I've seen some other links to Facebook where at least some pages are visible without logging in.

By now, if people aren't on Facebook, they probably don't want to be. Don't flatter yourself that your potentially interesting bit of unseen content will make them change their minds. So since nothing is available to people that aren't on Facebook, they won't see anything, and will just move on.

Further to this - a large proportion of such people (and yes, that would include me) would actively turn against anything like that. These people have reasons for not being part of Facebook.

You're a Facebook thing? Uh-huh... (puts on plonk list) Next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.