Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for novels about B-17s and their crews? I've just read A REAL GOOD WAR and UNDER AN ENGLISH HEAVEN, which were quite engaging and gave a good flavour of QOTS. Any other recommendations? Fiction - I've got plenty of history, Shweinfurt-Regensburg etc.:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

If the Canadian Halifax bomber is an acceptable substitute, then 'On Target' by John Holmes was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

12 O'Clock High, by Bartlett and Lay 1948.

The War Lover by John Hersey, 1959.

both great books and films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim B.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out,

The Lucky Bastard Club "A B-17 Pilot In Training and In Combat, 1943-45
By Eugene Fletcher 1992
Not fiction but a great read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've quite a range of Lancaster/Halifax ones - but not THAT one, so I'll track it down. Thanks for the recommendation. My area has quite strong connections with Canadian and Free French halifax outfits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll hunt it down. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:

This was also a TV series, although I must be (just) too young to remember it over here in England. I'll check both of these out. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:

If the Canadian Halifax bomber is an acceptable substitute, then 'On Target' by John Holmes was pretty good.

Thanks. See my (misplaced) reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:

Is the game of the same name (a TV spin-off I think) worth playing, does anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
StinkyHarry wrote:
Any suggestions for novels about B-17s and their crews? I've just read A REAL GOOD WAR and UNDER AN ENGLISH HEAVEN, which were quite engaging and gave a good flavour of QOTS. Any other recommendations? Fiction - I've got plenty of history, Schweinfurt-Regensburg etc.

Alan,

Here is a thread I started awhile back on this exact subject. I list many books I have read and gave a short review on a few. There are many replies too with great suggestions. I hope this helps direct you to the information you are looking for.

Here is a link to that thread, ENJOY!

Jim P cool

mb
mb ... mb
... mb
... mb ... mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. Very useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdnative63 wrote:
Check out,

By Eugen Fletcher 1992

I bought this book around 1996 and liked it so much, I called the author. I asked if he would sign the book for me if I mailed it to him. He not only signed it, but gave me the addresses of the surviving crew members so they could sign it. I attended two of their reunions (95th BG) in Spokane, WA and San Antonio, TX, over the next two years.

I had the great opportunity to have their wives sign it as well as Eugene's son, shown as a new baby on one of the pages. He was then 51 years old, the same age I am today. How time flies. It is indeed a great book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:

The first book - 12 O'Clock High - is pretty difficult to get hold of, it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim B.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aerogoose wrote:
sdnative63 wrote:
Check out,

By Eugen Fletcher 1992

I bought this book around 1996 and liked it so much, I called the author. I asked if he would sign the book for me if I mailed it to him. He not only signed it, but gave me the addresses of the surviving crew members so they could sign it. I attended two of their reunions (95th BG) in Spokane, WA and San Antonio, TX, over the next two years.

I had the great opportunity to have their wives sign it as well as Eugene's son, shown as a new baby on one of the pages. He was then 51 years old, the same age I am today. How time flies. It is indeed a great book.

Jim that is so awesome! What a great treat it was for you I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdnative63 wrote:
aerogoose wrote:
sdnative63 wrote:
Check out,

By Eugen Fletcher 1992

Jim that is so awesome! What a great treat it was for you I'm sure.

It was a great experience. The first person Eugene said I should contact was the Radio Operator, George Hinman. His health was failing and was in the hospital. But he suggested I call his wife Mary to see if she could take the book to him for signature. I called that same day and Mary said she had just left the hospital and that he'd passed away hours earlier. In her typical gracious manner, she said "But I'll sign it for you!" So off went the book and Mary added her signature to this great book.

On the first reunion to Spokane in 1995, I met her and we talked for a long time about life during the war. A truly wonderful woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading some of the responses and other contributions, it almost seems wrong to make a game (playing B-17:QOTS) out of what were other people's young and often terrible experiences. I square this away by thinking about the fact that it is only through this sort of enthusiasm that memories are motivated to be recorded and so preserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
StinkyHarry wrote:
Reading some of the responses and other contributions, it almost seems wrong to make a game (playing B-17:QOTS) out of what were other people's young and often terrible experiences. I square this away by thinking about the fact that it is only through this sort of enthusiasm that memories are motivated to be recorded and so preserved.

I think that as long as the players are mindful of the history behind the game then all is well. That is not to say that all players must do deep research or read novelizations. These games are an entertaining way to learn about the past and try to remember what the struggle was about. Your comment about enthusiam seems to hit the nail on the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I caved in and bought 'Memphis Belle, the novel. I've heard and read mixed reactions to the film (which I enjoyed, to be honest). A winter read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Binkley
United States
Grand Haven
Michigan
flag msg tools
We play to honor their deeds and sacrifices really. Can we kind of walk in their shoes for a little while, and while certainly not as intense or terrifying, we still gain a small appreciation for just exactly how brave and heroic each of them was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viking4_USA wrote:
We play to honor their deeds and sacrifices really. Can we kind of walk in their shoes for a little while, and while certainly not as intense or terrifying, we still gain a small appreciation for just exactly how brave and heroic each of them was.

Agreed. Perfectly put.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:

I just got a cheap copy of THE WAR LOVER; thanks for the recommendation.

And COMBAT CREW (not fiction, but reads SO well!). Thanks for all the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come across this one:

Is it a novel or a first-hand account? I know it's about the 5th in the Pacific Theatre ('Theater', if you insist on mis-spelling English!).

Al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.