10 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: [New player] Can you block reinforcements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Excrucinator Doom
msg tools
Hi everyone

I've just recently bought Descent 2nd Edition, and was playing with some friends over the weekend. But we ran into a couple of places where the rule book didn't help out with some ambiguities. These are:

1) The Overlord usually gets reinforcements each turn, and these need to be placed on the entrance. My friends took to blocking the entrance with a couple of characters so I didn't have room to spawn large monsters. Is this valid?

2) If I can place reinforcements at the start of my (the overlord's) turn, can I activate / use that monster straight away?

Thanks very much for any advice in this matter, we've enjoyed what we've played so far, and it would be good to clarify these points.

Regards

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [New player] Can you block re-enforcements?
You cannot block the reinforcements from spawning, in the advent of the square being occupied by some figure, the new monster will spawn in the next available space.

I am not sure whether any mission allows the overlord to place the reinforcements at the start of his turn, i know that the first ones tell you to place reinforcements at the end.

That needs to be taken into attention since it makes a huge difference, because the overlord would have already done the activations, and so would not activate the newly arrived reinforcement.

Check the mission itself for rules on the reinforcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
As John wrote, reinforcements cannot be blocked (they appear in the available space closest to their entrance place).

There are indeed encounters that let the Overlord introduce reinforcements at the start of his turn. In that case they activate in the same turn they appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excrucinator Doom
msg tools

Well thank you both very much for your prompt and informative replies!

I look forward too wreaking untold amounts of havoc upon the unsuspecting heroes.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
See Quest Guide, p. 2, under Reinforcements, last sentence :
"If a reinforcing monster cannot be placed as indicated in his section because the tile is full, the monster is placed in the closest empty space(s) instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Francis
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Descent and BGG! Don't hesitate to ask questions. Everyone around here is friendly and eager to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excrucinator Doom
msg tools

Thanks for the citation, that'll help when explaining to my friends!

Don't know how I missed that to begin with, I'll put it down to the overwhelming amount of information I've had to take in as a completely new player.

Thanks guys, It's nice to see this site has helpful forum users!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you are skimming through the rule book trying to make a ruling, don't neglect the first page of the Quest Guide. It has a lot of important rules in there, and I'm not sure why that stuff wasn't included in the core rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note too that there is an "Adam sez" thread where answers have been given by the designer to players' questions (and there is, of course, the official FAQ on FFG's site, which gives precisions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excrucinator Doom
msg tools

Thanks for mentioning the Adam Sez thread and the FAQ, I'll be sure to check there first before asking further questions.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.