Subject: Battle Foam Sale - What to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Conner
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first miniatures game, so I'm new to all the storage solutions. The 25% off Battle Foam sale looks like a good deal, but I'm not sure what the best thing to buy would be. This is a given, but do you guys think it would be best to get the P.A.C.K. 216 bag that fits it exactly, or would it be wise to think ahead and get the P.A.C.K. 432 with room for trays for future waves? Or are there other (cheaper) bags/cases that fit the Battle Foam trays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Star-Wars-Game-Foam-Kit-fo...

Hmm seems like UK shop hasn't got it in yet.

I really do envy your US consumerism sometimes as much as I can hate it to, great cheap prices and loads of options. Spose thats the problem with having a population 5 times smaller (or there about)

http://www.krmulticase.com/buyarmystorage.aspx?system=STAR&a...

I was considering the above as the spaces are deep enough to put them in on stands and also they will fit any type of the current small miniatures (tie, tie adv, y-wing etc...) I believe they are bringing out the 2nd wave medium figure inserts soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like my Battle Foam, but I'm a little disappointed in the 'open' middle area. In the picture, my mind had it bigger than it was. When I got it, it seems like a waste of space. Rather than just an open area, I kind of wish they would have made a bunch of sections for the 'other' stuff (like stands, counters, etc).

So Battlefoam isn't the most efficient use of space. They do however have that 'make your own' foam with the X-Wing templates, so you could make one that was more efficient and take advantage of the sale.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you Set on the Battlefoam? I ask because I'm really happy with my plastic storage solution. It's a PLANO box 5231 Stow 'n Go container. I found them for about $10 at my local Menards. Here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5231-Double-Organizer/dp...

I have 20 minis and they fit no problem with all the bits separated and there is a place for everything. I have pre-ordered wave 2 and that's going to be 10 more ships (4 of each fighter plus the big ships). They also have space to go into my boxes at the moment. When wave 3 hits, I may just get another one of these boxes and keep the party going. (or possibly one without the top level. http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5230-Single-Sided-Organi... )

This is also the fastest to access storage system I've found.I can get squadbuilding in less than 30 seconds, and once I know what I need to get out of the box, I can assemble the ships and be ready to play in 3 minutes or so. My last storage solution took WAY longer to find the components and get them out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Trotter

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, do you have any photos of your PLANO box loaded?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I like my Battle Foam, but I'm a little disappointed in the 'open' middle area. In the picture, my mind had it bigger than it was. When I got it, it seems like a waste of space. Rather than just an open area, I kind of wish they would have made a bunch of sections for the 'other' stuff (like stands, counters, etc).

So Battlefoam isn't the most efficient use of space. They do however have that 'make your own' foam with the X-Wing templates, so you could make one that was more efficient and take advantage of the sale.

-shnar

Are you talking about the small "wave one" foam that fits inside a core set box, or the one the OP linked that holds 100-points worth of every ship type from waves 1 and 2 and fits in a P.A.C.K. 216 carrying case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeximusMaximus wrote:
Are you Set on the Battlefoam? I ask because I'm really happy with my plastic storage solution. It's a PLANO box 5231 Stow 'n Go container. I found them for about $10 at my local Menards. Here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5231-Double-Organizer/dp...

I have 20 minis and they fit no problem with all the bits separated and there is a place for everything. I have pre-ordered wave 2 and that's going to be 10 more ships (4 of each fighter plus the big ships). They also have space to go into my boxes at the moment. When wave 3 hits, I may just get another one of these boxes and keep the party going. (or possibly one without the top level. http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5230-Single-Sided-Organi... )

This is also the fastest to access storage system I've found.I can get squadbuilding in less than 30 seconds, and once I know what I need to get out of the box, I can assemble the ships and be ready to play in 3 minutes or so. My last storage solution took WAY longer to find the components and get them out of the box.

Wow good work!!!, I can get them from US and shipped to the UK much cheaper than I can buy them here for..... £14 you just saved me a packet. Cheers m8ey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Are you talking about the small "wave one" foam that fits inside a core set box, or the one the OP linked that holds 100-points worth of every ship type from waves 1 and 2 and fits in a P.A.C.K. 216 carrying case?

I was thinking the original one that fit in the original box. The most attractive thing about that one is that it fits in the original box (this one http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Star-Wars-Game-Foam-Kit.ht... which is now cheaper than when I bought it). I like that it fits in the original box. My 'collection' fits into 2 core boxes, except for the mat.

This new one looks cool, particularly the undertray to organize all the extras. However the pad is $30 and the pack is $77? That's kind of pricey for a carrying solution?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

This new one looks cool, particularly the undertray to organize all the extras. However the pad is $30 and the pack is $77? That's kind of pricey for a carrying solution?

-shnar

The foam is $30 and case is $48. With today's 25% discount, it comes to $58.50 + shipping. Still not "cheap", but it is the nicest looking storage solution if you intend to stop after wave 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

The foam is $30 and case is $48. With today's 25% discount, it comes to $58.50 + shipping. Still not "cheap", but it is the nicest looking storage solution if you intend to stop after wave 2.

You're forgetting the extra $40 for shipping to Canada... which prevented me from pulling the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Conner
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

That is my thought exactly. However, I don't intend to stop at wave 2. I was just wondering what others thought of the idea of buying a PACK 432 and hoping that the extra 4in of space could eventually be used for Waves 3+. This is assuming that Battle Foam continues to make trays for the future waves of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewconner wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

That is my thought exactly. However, I don't intend to stop at wave 2. I was just wondering what others thought of the idea of buying a PACK 432 and hoping that the extra 4in of space could eventually be used for Waves 3+. This is assuming that Battle Foam continues to make trays for the future waves of course.

You can always get a second PACK 216 and zip the two together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Conner
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
drewconner wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

You can always get a second PACK 216 and zip the two together.

Great, that's exactly the information I needed. I had no idea they were connectable. Thanks so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there a set of three trays that had room for something like 5 of each ship, 1 Falcon, 2 Firesprays, and tokens/templates?

EDIT: This one http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Star-Wars-Game-Foam-Kit-fo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zach hacz
United States
ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
I learnd the art of sudection from James Brown in a hot tub.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the 30 dollar set http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Star-Wars-Game-Foam-Kit-fo... which should fit perfectly (assuming i still know how to use a tape measure) in a case i got from hobby lobby http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/wooden-artist-case-12500... and there is a code you can use on the page to get 40% off one item to lessen the cost of the case(pays for tax and shipping on the case or use in store since it works there too). when i take out the built in esiel there should be enough room(i believe)for the wood tray that comes with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewconner wrote:
This is my first miniatures game, so I'm new to all the storage solutions. The 25% off Battle Foam sale looks like a good deal, but I'm not sure what the best thing to buy would be. This is a given, but do you guys think it would be best to get the P.A.C.K. 216 bag that fits it exactly, or would it be wise to think ahead and get the P.A.C.K. 432 with room for trays for future waves? Or are there other (cheaper) bags/cases that fit the Battle Foam trays?

I got both the larger Star Wars foam and the Pack 216. They are both awesome, and I can't imagine EVER needing more ships than it would take to fill that foam.

Heck, you don't really need THAT many ships, but I confess I'll probably buy enough to fill the bag (maybe not two Slaves though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Welfare
Australia
Guildford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the larger sized foam as well, the miniatures tray fits my entire current collection, plus all my preorders for wave 2 with some room leftover. So it was a real nice choice.

I too endorse it as a great solution, but I do offer up that those with 3 core sets (what, how else do you get 8 TIE fighters ) might want to know that they will need to keep a box for some bits. Haven't completely finished trying to find spots for everything, but between 3 core sets + 1 X-Wing, 2 TIEs, 2 TIE Adv and 4 Y-Wings you have an awful lot of cards. Now I can get all of the various upgrade cards (sleeved) into a spot, along with a damage deck or two on it's side in another slot but the sleeved pilot cards, well they seem just a slightly too wide. cry
They would fit without sleeves quite nicely though.

Oh, and three sets of manouver templates and range rulers fit in there OK as well. So that is actually good.

I'm guessing the counters will fight nicely in ziplocks into there as well so basically the troublemaking bits would be the pilot cards and my extra damage decks (and maybe the asteroid field that 3 sets gives).
But pretty much an awesome couple of trays.

Now to wait till wave 4 for another tray of holding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got mine plano 5231 thriugh no import tax cheap as chips nice 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone posted a review on the Battlefoam site that the larger bases for the Falcon and Slave 1 don't fit into the foam. Anyone else with those models experience this? I want to get this but only if it fits my gamer OCD. We can't have any stray bits flying around my bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Meske
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted that review, and if I have time tonight I will try to post a pic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Meske
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, on further review the new large ship bases CAN fit in the big square (see the pic on the Battlefoam site) in the accessories tray. The base inserts will fit fine, but the base itself you kind of have to squeeze it in. Sorry for the somewhat misleading review...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I just received my Battle Foam insert and am really happy with it. After a little playing around, I have found that the storage tray works great to hold everything in an organized, accessible fashion. The new large plastic bases are a tight fit, but they work just fine.

Here is my collection, which includes 2 core sets of counters, templates, etc:

It looks to me like there is room to grow as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thanks for the pic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Baxter
United States
Little Rock
AR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the 25% off code?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How thick are the trays? I wonder because I don't know the thickness of Slave1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.