3 Posts

DarkStar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about "Recon" ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
I had a Q about the Recon ability- mostly the wording has me a bit confused.

I totally understand how it works (you can move the unit, and then flip the token to get the extra movement out of it).

But is the ability on each unit a single-time use? Or does the unit always have the ability to use once per turn?

I could see the wording of the ability going both ways-

A: You flip each unit over as it moves the extra movement, just to separate that unit as having used the ability for the turn from the others you own that have Recon but haven't used it yet. At the end of the turn, you wold flip each nit back over, to make sure that each unit has it showing for the next turn.

B: "A Recon squadron of your that is not already flipped" means one that hasn't yet used the skill in the current game.

I would guess "A", but I'm not sure.

Am I also right in guessing that either way, Recon either lets you double-move any Recon units in the stack you are currently activating for the turn (does the Recon move let them leave the stack after the rest of the ships stop, counter to the rules??), or more cunningly, use the ability to move one or more recon units from somewhere else in addition to the stack you activated (though I assume the would only get to move the single Recon movement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegisgrimm wrote:
I had a Q about the Recon ability- mostly the wording has me a bit confused.

I totally understand how it works (you can move the unit, and then flip the token to get the extra movement out of it).

But is the ability on each unit a single-time use? Or does the unit always have the ability to use once per turn?

I could see the wording of the ability going both ways-

A: You flip each unit over as it moves the extra movement, just to separate that unit as having used the ability for the turn from the others you own that have Recon but haven't used it yet. At the end of the turn, you wold flip each nit back over, to make sure that each unit has it showing for the next turn.

B: "A Recon squadron of your that is not already flipped" means one that hasn't yet used the skill in the current game.

I would guess "A", but I'm not sure.

Am I also right in guessing that either way, Recon either lets you double-move any Recon units in the stack you are currently activating for the turn (does the Recon move let them leave the stack after the rest of the ships stop, counter to the rules??), or more cunningly, use the ability to move one or more recon units from somewhere else in addition to the stack you activated (though I assume the would only get to move the single Recon movement).

Recons are possibly the most valuable squadrons in the game. Each recon squadron gets one free move per game. To track this, look closely at the flipped unit. You'll see it lacks the recon symbol. During Setup make sure all your recon squadrons have their face with the recon symbol showing. Ilya has improved the visibility of this greatly for the final game version!

When you flip a recon it gains a move that is independent of any other movement going on. So you could move a stack and then flip and move recons in other places, or move stacks containing recons and then flip them to leap onwards. (The recon free move doesn't get granted to other squadrons in its stack - you had that right already - so in both cases the flipping recon leaves any other squadrons it is with behind.) Or you can flip a recon first to get it into a stack, and then move that stack.

An example of how recons can be used in a neat opening move is to move the artillery from your AM system nearest an Edict system to the 'Midway' system nearest your Capitol. Then flip the recon from that same AM system to move it onto the Edict system. You now have a nice situation where two artillery squadrons are pointed in support of your recon sitting on the Edict world - hopefully drawing you more cards next turn. If counter-attacked you can instead cloak the recon and bring up the interceptor in the following turn.

As an aside, I would rate squadrons strongest to weakest as

Recon
Artillery
Interceptor (using new 'reactive moves' rule)
Assault
Flagship

Although the Hurricane flagship is an exception to that. Finally, IC does return his recons unflipped if he rebuilds them on a capitol.

If there is room I'll get the recon clarification into the Q&A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Ok, thanks for the info. Everything is pretty much how I thought the Recon ability works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.