Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Understanding 'enemy' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
If I understand it correctly, when a character is under Dark Charm, he switches sides for a moment. That's why the OL can (and should) play Aim on him, and why Command from a Beastman would affect him.

Now, consider this scenario. Fighter A is compelled to hit Magic-User B, who dies. B has Divine Retribution. Does A die, as he is for the momment an enemy of B ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

FAQ pg 7
Q: Can a hero kill another hero in order to trigger “Divine Retribution”?

A: Ordinarily, no. Divine Retribution only triggers when an enemy figure kills the hero. However, a hero can be an enemy figure to another hero if one of them is Dark Charmed or otherwise under the control of the overlord. In that case, a hero could kill another hero to trigger Divine Retribution. A hero is never an enemy figure to himself, though.

However its up to the player to decide if they want skills active so I suppose they could elect to turn off Divine Retribution if they are afraid of blowing up their hero models, if not kaboom goes the Dark Charmed hero and surrounding monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
"It is up to the players to decide if their want theor skills active"

It would mean that a hero under Dark Charm could restrict the damage he does by turning off attacking skills like Mighty. Can it be true ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
"It is up to the players to decide if their want theor skills active"

It would mean that a hero under Dark Charm could restrict the damage he does by turning off attacking skills like Mighty. Can it be true ?

Yes.
I've no idea why they made this 'last minute' change to nerf Dark Charm. It was certainly nothing we ever suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Neither have I gulp

What about "integrated" skills - like Landrec's extra surges ?
What about "channelled" skills - e.g. Pico ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ, pg 10

Quote:
Q: When the overlord is controlling a hero through Dark Charm, who decides how to spend the surges and power dice? Can the overlord move the character and attack, or just make a single attack without moving?

A: The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The hero is considered an enemy figure with respect to the other heroes and a friendly figure with respect to the overlord’s figures while under the overlord’s control. The overlord may also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However, the overlord player cannot move the character or force the hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. Also, the hero player, not the overlord, decides which if any of the hero’s skills are used (including skills whose benefits are usually applied automatically, such as Blessing). The hero no longer benefits from any other heroes with Command, but does receive a bonus from any of the overlord’s figures with Command. If the hero himself has Command, the hero player can choose whether or not to use it.

With that in mind, only actual Skill cards could be deactivated in response to a Dark Charm. This means for example Landrec who has extra surges on his hero card must apply that in his attack (hero ability, not a skill remember) and would deal full damage. Anything in this list could be turned off if the hero wished.

Far as Pico goes, he is not a Skill card and so you would count his bonus in a Dark Charm attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
So that's how I applied the Dark Charm yesterday evening.

It wasn't easy to tell the heroes that Landrec would have to apply his own two surges but not the two he got from Prodigy.

Anyway, this shot and a Razorwing passing by were enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've had the exact same issue with Landrec before but the rules look awfully clear even if they aren't happy to see it. Have them take a look at the rules if you don't want to deliver the bad news, sometimes works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Well, it's not bad news (it's two surges less than expected) but rather strange news.

The bad news for them was when Tahlia realized that her brand new Grinding Axe was in fact a block of Magnetite. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.