Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've hijacked a couple threads with this essential question so I figured I should break it out into a separate thread. The title says it all, but I should emphasize that I have played Dominion and Ascension, don't like the art or theme of either (important aspects of gaming for me) and also enjoy Ascension but find it light in decision-making. I essentially play it on autopilot on iPhone. That said, my wife hasn't played a DBG yet so clean rules and approachability are pluses.

I want to make sure I'm not missing out too much on superior gameplay or strategy by going for Legendary, a game with theme and apparent elegance, as the one DBG in our collection. I enjoy the mechanic but have been turned off by the art in just about every DBG except for regular Thunderstone (which seems inferior to Advance, whose box art I really don't like, effectively nixing the game for me).

I know a lot of folks don't rank art as highly, or have the same taste in it. But I'm exited about the prospect of a DBG whose art isn't a distraction for me. (The only aesthetic complaint is the extra-large box size. I don't even care about the card art repeats. The borders seem to work.)

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well after trying several deck builders, I'm giving legendary a go. I like the idea behind them, but art/theme just wasn't there for me. Closest I came was Thunderstone Advance, but a few rules ruined it for me. Ascension is thin. Rune Age had a severe lack of cards, though I like what rune age did with scenarios... which legendary seems to have a similar thing.

I like to have theme and a purpose. Alot of deckbuilders I just feel like I'm going though the motions. Atleast with legendary I will have a purpose, defeat the bad guy. Some mechanics are borrowed from other games, but in Legendary they feel thematic instead of just some mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin: sounds like we are in the same boat, then. Let me know your impressions of Legendary once you get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay is very similar to Ascension but it has has some interesting differences.
It's very good and has a lot of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring Them Citadels wrote:
Dustin: sounds like we are in the same boat, then. Let me know your impressions of Legendary once you get it.

will do, I'll have it in next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat: I don't have the game........

but on reading the rules do feel that this might be your best bet so far to get any sort of reasonable theme out of a DBG. The combination of scheme's, masterminds and heroes, seem to naturally fit with the game sequence to generate a comic book story (some might say though that these don't come with particularly deep story lines though devil).

However, generally I think that DBG's and theme don't make good bed fellows. The DB mechanic generally forces the player to focus on the attributes of the cards available and in his/her hand, rather than there application to the theme. This becomes especially heightened when you have player by player turns and there is increasing pressure to make/take your turn as quickly as possible. Increasing the interaction between players can slow this down, but by that time I think everyone is so focussed on what each card/combo can do. rather than what relevance it has to the theme.

OP, I think you summed this up nicely in your reference to playing Ascenion iOS. You churn through the games. Unfortunately I think this will eventually happen in many DB games, including Legendary.

So if you decide to go with Legendary, just enjpy the theme whilst you recognise it is still there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Ascension, Nightfall and Thunderstone (on iOS and FB, respectively) and I own Rune Age.

Like you, I find Ascension to be a pretty dry game and play it on Auto-pilot. Nightfall also didn't hit it with me, the chain mechanic could be interesting, but personally I find it way too chaotic and unwieldy, could be just me.
Thunderstone I did like, and it's been on my to-buy list for a while (still is, actually). I've been holding off and hesitating with it, and now I'm happy that I did.

Rune Age, I really enjoy, especially the scenarios they provide. My one problem with is that there's just not enough in the box. The 4 scenarios (2 of which you can't play solo - which, as I'm away from my gaming group for a few months, is my only mode of play) are pretty limited. Yes, you can play each with the different armies which provides a (slightly) different method of play - but we're still talking about a maximum of 8 different variations.
That's why I'm psyched for Legendary (ordered it, still haven't received it). It's Rune Age on steroids. Scenario-driven deckbuilder, with so many options to mix and match. Even without the 2 non-solo schemes - we're still dealing with 24 different combos - and that's just factoring schemes and Masterminds, villain groups and heroes push that number up to the 3-digit range (I'm not gonna do the math so I don't embarrass myself).
The superhero theme and excellent art (in my opinion - I agree that Ascension is ugly) are only an added bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring Them Citadels wrote:
I should emphasize that I have played Dominion and Ascension, don't like the art or theme of either (important aspects of gaming for me) and also enjoy Ascension but find it light in decision-making.

I know a lot of folks don't rank art as highly, or have the same taste in it. But I'm exited about the prospect of a DBG whose art isn't a distraction for me. (The only aesthetic complaint is the extra-large box size. I don't even care about the card art repeats. The borders seem to work.)

You have described me almost exactly. Dominion bored me to tears, both thematically and mechanically. Legendary is the first deck-building game I have cared to own. I really enjoy it since acquiring it last Sunday, and I am trying to play it at every opportunity.

As you suggest, the art is well-done, but not a distraction. The method of using borders to help differentiate cards works well, and the same art on each card makes sorting a breeze.

The box is actually the best-made box I have seen for this sort of game. I suppose you could fit all of the cards into a cardbox 1/3 the size, but it's great to see a box designed to be functional, both now and in the future. Dominion's box is actually the worst in this regard, but they were the training wheels for everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Saldana
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel: Great to hear!

Thanks all for the responses. This is very promising news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like the art in Thunderstone Advance, think the art in Ascension in okay (but solo gameplay isn't very good), and adore the art in Legendary. I'm a huge comic fan though, so take that into acount. whistle

Thunderstone Advance I found a little easier to get into theme, maybe because of the "village" and the "dungeon," but as I relax and take in the whole of Legendary instead of the barebones Fight/Recruit value I find myself enjoing it more and more (a problem I have with all deckbuilders). If I had a choice between Legendary and Thunderstone Advance as my first deckbuilder--the only two I think worth considering, at least for solo play--I'd probably take Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like theme in your games and are looking for a DBG that really feels the theme,I think Legendary may be the game for you.

It feels like Ascension and Thunderstone had a baby and it was a co-op. I think the co-op is what makes this game able to make the theme work. You know these villains you are fighting, you know these heroes you are using to do the job. You want to go out there and protect those bystanders and smash those villains. Working your team (deck) into the most efficient combination of abilities that compliment each other to get the job done is very rewarding to me. It is far from easy to do as you never know what will be available to purchase (ala Ascension).

The base difficulty of the game is not too tough (in the two player game anyway), yet it usually feels tense enough that each game is still exciting. I have played 6 games and lost none, but I was one turn from a loss twice and a draw once when I managed to pull out the win.

There have been some complaints about each hero always having the same art for that hero, but I found that I do not even notice. In fact, it really helps when it comes time to put the game away. There is a lot of sorting to be done at the end of the game and being able to sort it quickly is not to be overlooked.

If you like card games, co-op games, and super heroes then this game is a no-brainer for you to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.