Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just curious if anyone else has had this experience when playing. The players I play against never weed out their decks with research cards but always seem to beat me when I do this. Am I just an inferior player? Or is this not work in a game that is this short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always extensively deck thin, and I usually win. I don't always keep up with my deck thinning late game, but I always deck thin early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyls wrote:
Just curious if anyone else has had this experience when playing. The players I play against never weed out their decks with research cards but always seem to beat me when I do this. Am I just an inferior player? Or is this not work in a game that is this short.

Have you considered that you're not weeding out the right cards or doing it at inopportune moments? Because I've never seen a case where I felt someone disadvantaged themselves by researching out redundancies, especially early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some players who never do this, and I know some who do a fair amount. I'd recommend doing it more when your strategy supports it, primarily when you want to switch your deck consistency.

This can happen if a player picked up too many survey or colonize cards from leading it a fair amount, or if a player wants to switch to produce/trade. It's also easier to collect research symbols (and draw the advanced research cards) if your deck is smaller.

The main drawback with using action research is it means fewer cards for your role phase and uses up your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think timing is an important issue to consider when using the Research action. If your action could better be used to settle or attack a planet, then Research may not be the best at that moment. So, while thinning your deck is a strong move and can be important to strategy, it's not always your best move on a given turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyls wrote:

If you immediately research to remove trade/produce because it's useless at the beginning, you may find that once the game hits the trading phase, you lag behind. If you think that's what's causing the losses, you might consider either researching to get techs with those two icons, surveying for planets with those icons, or taking produce as a role late-game when your opponents are full up, to get more back in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyls wrote:
Or is this not work in a game that is this short.

The real reason Research isn't as vital as in many deckbuilders is that Eminent Domain has no copper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyls wrote:

I've played a lot of games and seen thin decks and thick decks both win consistently. It all depends on the strategy of the deck. If your deck relies on tech cards for big point turns then thinning your deck is a must as it will give you the best chance to use the cards several times. If you are planet flipping without a lot of tech then a thin deck generally isn't as important, though it can still be beneficial.

It's hard to say if you are doing anything wrong. As others mentioned above there are times when it is better to forego a research action to do something better. Try not doing many research actions (unless you can't do any other action that will help) until you get an Advanced Research tech card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Zamalvide
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actions are very valuable, and it can become a pain choosing wether improve the deck or do something else that may bring you closer to victory.

Researching cards away very soon is easier, since you have less cards to come by. You may want to trash two production cards and either two colonize or a warfare, and maybe even a politics - there is a very good chance to trash two cards in a turn in the first or second turn. Also, there are far less actions you can actually use in the first and second turn.

Later on, you must seize windows of opportunity. Improved research works nicely in the early/middle game. Still, it is often a though choice.

If you have advanced planets you may reach the thrashing powerhouses; namely data network, streamlining, and in the mid late game, the almighty hyper efficiency. They even yield influence to pay off the hassle of getting them (and data network is a lovely research buddy). If you do have at least two advanced planets and haven't forfeit research altogether, those are nice cards to have.

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.