4 Posts

Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook» Forums » Rules

Subject: Throwing to an empty square (on purpose) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien Kay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to ask this as I'm sure I've read about it somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it!!

I'm getting a bit confused about how the turnover rule applies to an intentional throw to an empty square?

The rulebook states that if the ball isn't caught by a member of the throwing team then a turnover occurs but it also says this only happens when the ball comes to rest. Does this mean you can't throw the ball to an empty space then later in your turn try to pick it up with a player?

Please could someone clarify this situation for me?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, if you throw the ball and it lands and comes to a rest without being caught by one of your players, it is a turnover.

It's very rare to throw to an empty square on purpose. The reasons I can think of are:
a) You have a couple of players bunched up near a square, and throw in between them, giving you a pretty good chance of having it drift or bounce to one of them (either because you expect to make an inaccurate throw, or you're trying to avoid an interception, I guess). It's probably not worth it to do this unless your players have Diving Catch and/or your thrower is using Hail Mary Pass.

b) As a "punt", you just throw the ball downfield as far as you can, either letting the opponent recover it because the extra time it will take him to run it all the way downfield is better than letting him take the ball away from you and score quickly, or trying to recover it yourself on your next turn because your opponent doesn't have any guys deep and you have a fast team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the skill that lets you throw short passes when you are about to be blocked. It can let you dump the pass away from opposing players even if you are about to get sacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Kay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.