Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Spartacus is the best new game of 2012 in my collection. Do you agree? What other releases this year could aspire to being the best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed both of my games of Spartacus, but it's a long way short of being good enough for me to buy, let alone good enough to make my top five for the year.

All a matter of opinion, of course, and there are still games from this year unplayed, but Snowdonia and Escape are both likely to be in my top five. Ginkgopolis and Descent 2.0 are also contenders. I *want* my favourite game of 2012 to be Eclipse, but as that was my favourite game of 2011 I think it might be ineligible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Descent 2.0 but I don't like it as much as Spartacus. I like competitive games where each player plays to win. Descent is more of a cooperative experience and not balanced enough for competitive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyssan
Zombicide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
I have Descent 2.0 but I don't like it as much as Spartacus. I like competitive games where each player plays to win. Descent is more of a cooperative experience and not balanced enough for competitive play.

What more competitiveness than all my friends against me as Overlord? devil

For me Descent 2 is my best buy for 2012 along with Summoner wars (although that game was released two yrs ago). I havent played Spartacus but looking forward to, even more now the expansion is announced with 5-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus is a good game, but not best of in my opinion. The game needs to play in a bit less time, and the game has some minor issues when using the short version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the short game with a rules change - that players started with 4 Influence, and the aim was to get to 9 at the end of any phase; the game took the same amount of time as the published short game, but there were more decisions on when and how to play Schemes as a result of having less Influence without help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Spartacus is a good game, but not best of in my opinion. The game needs to play in a bit less time, and the game has some minor issues when using the short version.

When something is this good I would like it to play _longer_ not shorter. I think they actually got playing time exactly right for what this game offers. Since you can choose to start from three different spots you can adjust playing time in a way to make it suit any occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
Mattias wrote:

What more competitiveness than all my friends against me as Overlord? devil

For me Descent 2 is my best buy for 2012 along with Summoner wars (although that game was released two yrs ago). I havent played Spartacus but looking forward to, even more now the expansion is announced with 5-6 players.

Problem is Descent is not balanced well enough for it to feel like a fair competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
MillertimeRC wrote:

When something is this good I would like it to play _longer_ not shorter. I think they actually got playing time exactly right for what this game offers. Since you can choose to start from three different spots you can adjust playing time in a way to make it suit any occasion.

Your situation must be different, I rarely want a game to take longer to play. 2-3 hour games will occupy nearly all of just about any game session I can get free from other things for.

Yes the game offers three lengths, but so far playing the shortest version the game has taken about 2 hours each time, and as I said it has issues. Mainly these are related to the schemes and how once a player gets a major gladiator into the game they are hard to stop. Any player that goes down isn't likely to have time to get back up, so it ends up that all they can play for is to try to wreck the current leader, with no real hope of winning themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Mattias wrote:
MillertimeRC wrote:

Your situation must be different, I rarely want a game to take longer to play. 2-3 hour games will occupy nearly all of just about any game session I can get free from other things for.

Yes the game offers three lengths, but so far playing the shortest version the game has taken about 2 hours each time, and as I said it has issues. Mainly these are related to the schemes and how once a player gets a major gladiator into the game they are hard to stop. Any player that goes down isn't likely to have time to get back up, so it ends up that all they can play for is to try to wreck the current leader, with no real hope of winning themselves.

I guess we have different tastes in games (at least concerning playing time). A 2-3 hour game would be a simple filler for me. Good games take 5-10 hours or more. The best games have to be finished over several sessions (ASL campaigns for example).

Examples of really good games in my collection that can be finished in a day include ASL (some scenarios are shorter than others), Republic of Rome (10-12 hours for one of the scenarios), 1830 (5 hours or so) and Advanced Civilization (around 12 hours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syn Egg
msg tools
Easily top 3 game of 2012 for my group, possibly best. Definitely the game we played the most recently, must have played nearly 30 games in less than 2 months. It never gets old because we house rule everything.

MillertimeRC wrote:

If those are the issues you are experiencing I feel your group hasn't learned how to play the game properly yet.

It's actually pretty easy to shut down a player who gets a major gladiator. Assuming everyone's economy is similar, if you buy a good gladiator you shouldn't be able to win host for at least a couple of turns and during those turns you shouldn't be invited to fight. If you want to fight you'll have to bribe the host with loads of gold, who will then put that gold on your victory and injury/decap so he earns even more coin. Meanwhile you will be busy bribing/guarding against poisoned wine/incite rebellion.

If a player goes down there's time to get back up provided everyone knows who the current leader is and gangbangs them and no one makes any stupid kingmaker moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synegg wrote:
Easily top 3 game of 2012 for my group, possibly best. Definitely the game we played the most recently, must have played nearly 30 games in less than 2 months. It never gets old because we house rule everything.

MillertimeRC wrote:

If those are the issues you are experiencing I feel your group hasn't learned how to play the game properly yet.

It's actually pretty easy to shut down a player who gets a major gladiator. Assuming everyone's economy is similar, if you buy a good gladiator you shouldn't be able to win host for at least a couple of turns and during those turns you shouldn't be invited to fight. If you want to fight you'll have to bribe the host with loads of gold, who will then put that gold on your victory and injury/decap so he earns even more coin. Meanwhile you will be busy bribing/guarding against poisoned wine/incite rebellion.

If a player goes down there's time to get back up provided everyone knows who the current leader is and gangbangs them and no one makes any stupid kingmaker moves.

Are you talking about the game that starts at 7 influence and plays to a winner at 12?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Synegg wrote:

MillertimeRC wrote:

I agree that there are ways to take down an early leader.

All games we have played have been close run affairs, sometimes being decided in the arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syn Egg
msg tools
MillertimeRC wrote:
Are you talking about the game that starts at 7 influence and plays to a winner at 12?

I'm talking about a theoretical situation that applies to any length of game. Having said that the 7-12 game is less focused on strategy/economy and more dependent on luck. But if 3 people bash the leader together it should be able to overcome 1 person's luck and this will allow time for straggler's to catch up.

If your group decides to play more you will get faster and the 7-12 game will start to feel too short/light and hopefully the issues you had will be less apparent in a longer game. My group can't make the 7-12 game last more than an hour if we tried, largely because there's little need to talk and strike deals when everyone has high influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
All games we have played have been close run affairs, sometimes being decided in the arena.

As it should be. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
A 7 to 12 game should take less than an 1hour... Are you using your special house powers?? Just with them you can get 2 influence points in about 4 turns, hosting one or twice is another 1-2 points in four turns and a scheme or two and you're at 12 in a matter of sec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
A 7 to 12 game should take less than an 1hour... Are you using your special house powers?? Just with them you can get 2 influence points in about 4 turns, hosting one or twice is another 1-2 points in four turns and a scheme or two and you're at 12 in a matter of sec.

Special house powers to gain influence.. twice in four turns? Unless you or I are doing something wrong I don't see that ever being possible for anyone but Solonius, and even for him it's rare.

Tullius needs 3 slaves, Glaber needs 3 guards and Batiatus needs 3 gladiators; each above their starting allotment. The odds of seeing 3 of a kind on the market in 4 rounds is low - the odds of the other players letting you buy 3 that you need for Influence is nil, unless you're playing chumps. For Glaber's guards that is out of control of the other players somewhat but there are many ways to eliminate or exhaust other player's guards.

Getting your hands on three gladiators in four turns? No way.

So is there something I'm missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syn Egg
msg tools
He was exaggerating it's unlikely to trade in 2 sets of assets in so few turns unless you are Solonius or Glaber.

But you are definitely missing something if you take 2 hours to play the short game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I'm exagerating a bit but solonius can definitly do it easily especially if some starting glads show up in the market! And the Guard guy... he can exausth his guards and draw another card which gives him more chances to dram guards...

Also there is a lot of scheme which gives influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the short game as Tullius last week. At one point I had 7 slaves, and even with one of them being despatched via an Intrigue card they still set me up for a win - early to mid game they had been providing steady income *and* Intrigue card manipulation, to be sent to the mines in a last turn grasp for victory.

Of course, the other players were trying hard to make me pay dearly for them at auction. But I was making *them* pay dearly for everything else, trying to keep everyone cash-poor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.