Popular Tags: [View All]
Nundo Bolas
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Don't know anything about your game, which is probably good, but I certainly dislike your title. How was Napoleon against Europe? Against feudal Ancien Régime aristocracies maybe, but Europe? Against Britain maybe, but against Europe? If it weren't for him, we'd probably still live in feudal regimes (not to mention a lot of us still are). I'm expecting a two player Napoleon versus everybody-else now; But even that would be somewhat weird, since the Russian emperor switched sides and so on.. Napoleon versus Britain seems more like it, if you ask me. But I'll leave history to the historians and marketing to PR departments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fuqua
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, Europe did declare war against him personally in 1815. So it kinda WAS Nappy v. Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Portugal & Spain (apart from the Afrancesados)
Austria & Prussia - between defeats
Germans & Dutch were split with some on each side
Russia more of an 'I don't care as long as you leave us alone - oh well, at least people will learn from that & not make the same mistake again'

So- Napoleon's France with the Swiss, Italians & a few Dutch, Germans & Poles Against Europe(apart from the bits already mentioned)

Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, does it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neontek wrote:

Don't know anything about your game, which is probably good, but I certainly dislike your title. How was Napoleon against Europe? Against feudal Ancien Régime aristocracies maybe, but Europe? Against Britain maybe, but against Europe? If it weren't for him, we'd probably still live in feudal regimes (not to mention a lot of us still are). I'm expecting a two player Napoleon versus everybody-else now; But even that would be somewhat weird, since the Russian emperor switched sides and so on.. Napoleon versus Britain seems more like it, if you ask me. But I'll leave history to the historians and marketing to PR departments.

I just learned of this game less than 24 hours ago, and I agree, I don't care for the title of the game. Maybe:
Napoleon against the Kings - - - Nah
Napoleon against Suppression - - Nah
Napoleon against...
does it have to be "against"?
How bout'
Napoleon for Freedom :-)
Napoleon for Unity :-)
War and Peace... darn, already taken by another great game.

"Napoleon against Europe" just doesn't sound right to historians, I would think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Neontek wrote:

Because 'Napoleon Against feudal Ancien Régime aristocracies' would be crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkeanDau wrote:
Well, Europe did declare war against him personally in 1815. So it kinda WAS Nappy v. Europe.

So this is just the 1815 Campaign... in that case yes, the title fits in, because it was how the Monarchs viewed Napoleon, and so they declared war against him, not France, but him.

It sure is a big map for just the 1815 Campaign, but I guess its for just in case the first campaign (what we now call the Hundred Days) was a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a Waterloo game - I think I'll call it 'Boney & Beaky Go Nose to Nose.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's War

All the good titles seem to be taken.
War and Peace
Napoleonic Wars
Napoleon's Battles
etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not 'Europe against Napoleon' ?

And the game covers the period from 1805 to 1815 :
- look at the top left of the map (cf http://www.hexasim.com/images/nae/NaE-map-medium.jpg).
- there is a Lannes (dead on 1809) unit (http://www.hexasim.com/images/nae/NaE-Counters-large.gif)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexmagazine Accursed Games
Poland
Warszawa/Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Europe against Napoleon or Oppressers against Napoleon. Anyway, where are the english rules?! When will be available?! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Il Homme: "the Man," Madame de Stael's shorthand for Napoleon.

The Holy Alliance: the name the Coalition chose for itself by the end of the wars.

"Long Live the Emperor!" or whatever they said in French.

The Corsican Ogre.

Pace Nundo, I suspect there was as much freedom of thought under Louis XVI or Friedrich Wilhelm IV than there is now. Later, the Young Hegelians erupted from the midst of what should have been the golden age of reaction after the Napoleonic Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cihan U.
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Napoleon against Europe" has that romantic sound to it, I guess. The lone hero and his brave soldiers against the tyrants of old monarchies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.