Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
The common threads that pop up about what games to teach people who apparently only know Monopoly got me to thinking:

"Which of our games (of the BGG community) are games that you can pretty much teach as you go, with VERY minimal initial rules explanation?"

Monopoly is pretty much like this (though arguably not one of "our" games).

Some off the top of my head:
Loopin Louie
Pitchcar
Ticket to ride?
Wits and wagers?

What are y'all's ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Most dex games like crokinole or tumblin dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 can be done with very little intro, since each player sees a max of 3 new things each turn, and all the information is open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I approach pretty much all of them like that.

Kind of along the lines of "There are 3 stages to each turn. In stage 1, you ____, in stage 2 you ____ and in stage 3 you ____. I'll explain how each one works when we get to it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I'm not so sure that teaching Monopoly as you go
is the least bit fair to players. Unless you're
also telling them what to do at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules of Go are so quick to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
lacreighton wrote:

Most of them. Seki, not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

Most of them. Seki, not so much.

Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor is one of my favorite "teach as you go" games. First turn options are minimal; you pick a building, and get one choice on your turn. Then you start turn two. Meanwhile, you introduce population growth and income at each stage as necessary. Most importantly, players learning as they go are not severely hampered by lack of knowledge of the end-game. In fact, the game doesn't really open up until the fourth or fifth turn, and by then, players understand the game mechanics well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Endeavor is one of my favorite "teach as you go" games. First turn options are minimal; you pick a building, and get one choice on your turn. Then you start turn two. Meanwhile, you introduce population growth and income at each stage as necessary. Most importantly, players learning as they go are not severely hampered by lack of knowledge of the end-game. In fact, the game doesn't really open up until the fourth or fifth turn, and by then, players understand the game mechanics well.

They also discover that by not focusing on 'bricks' more, they are hosed. I despise the 'teach as you go' method of learning how to play the game, as a way for me to learn games, and a bad experience with Endeavor was exactly what caused me to decide that I just hated the whole teaching method. It wasn't that I was in a bad mood, or not paying attention, or impatient. It was just that the whole experience was unpleasant.

This says to me that teach as you go is either a teaching method that is only suited to certain sorts of games --- and I doubt that since you and I are in complete opposition over the same game -- or that it's appeal is an appeal to a certain type of person -- and I am not that sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoshim wrote:
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 can be done with very little intro, since each player sees a max of 3 new things each turn, and all the information is open.

This is VERY unfair. If player doesn't know that such a thing exists as something to raise your initiative, they may play very differently, not knowing what to expect.

You truly should go over every power for every army in play before the first tile or you will get cries of 'unfair, you never said...' pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding Ticket to Ride - that was what came to mind first for me.

I'd also say some cooperative games, since other plays can help you with strategy as you go as opposed to needing to know upfront. Castle Panic comes to mind, since everyone is working together and it's not very complicated re: turn actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.