Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I use a card power of a certain phase if I do not perform the action associated with that phase? Assumed: the action has been chosen by one of the players. I do not perform the action. Do I still get the benefit listed on a card in my tableau if I do not perform the action?

Examples:

the development phase: card to hand before development takes place.

the production phase. Certain cards award you 2 cards to hand with no prerequisite. Others give you prestige if you have the most "X" worlds in your tableau.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fubar awol wrote:
Can I use a card power of a certain phase if I do not perform the action associated with that phase? Assumed: the action has been chosen by one of the players. I do not perform the action. Do I still get the benefit listed on a card in my tableau if I do not perform the action?

Examples:

the development phase: card to hand before development takes place.

the production phase. Certain cards award you 2 cards to hand with no prerequisite. Others give you prestige if you have the most "X" worlds in your tableau.

Yes to both your examples. I believe that they call it "leeching" i.e. you are benefiting parasitically from another player's actions and it is always a good thing for you. Sometimes you can deter a player from taking that action just because it might benefit you a lot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I think all the powers that require a phase action be taken to get the benefit will have an arrow or a colon or 2 icons overlapping. Ie. perform whatever action (develop, settle, trade, consume, etc.) is displayed on the left to get the benefit on the right (card, vp, etc.).

Usually if there is a "simple" icon unlike the above you get the power/benefit during the phase whenever it occurs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparos Achaparos wrote:
Yes to both your examples. I believe that they call it "leeching"

Wouldn't "Public Works" be a counter-example? The card states that you "draw 1 card after placing" a development.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fameros wrote:
Apparos Achaparos wrote:
Yes to both your examples. I believe that they call it "leeching"

Wouldn't "Public Works" be a counter-example? The card states that you "draw 1 card after placing" a development.

No because he is referring to the "interstellar bank" (although he doesn't name the card) which works exactly as he thinks. Also Public works specifically states that you gain the card after you place a development.

To clarify further with an example, you can use merchant guild to gain two cards at the production phase when your opponent calls production.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Can I use a card power of a certain phase if I do not perform the action associated with that phase? Assumed: the action has been chosen by one of the players. I do not perform the action. Do I still get the benefit listed on a card in my tableau if I do not perform the action?

Examples:

the development phase: card to hand before development takes place.

the production phase. Certain cards award you 2 cards to hand with no prerequisite. Others give you prestige if you have the most "X" worlds in your tableau.


It really requires knowing what the icons mean. As discussed, "Public Development" requires that a development be placed before getting the "bonus" card, but "Interstellar Bank" always provides a "bonus" card at the beginning of the Development phase.

Another example that I think warrants mentioning are cards such as "Mining World," which require that a good be produced by that card in the Production phase before getting the "bonus" card. So if there's already a good on "Mining World" before the Production phase, you don't produce a good and don't get the "bonus" card.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.