4 Posts

Fleet» Forums » General

Subject: is the Lobster license too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
modxxii modxxii
Italy
flag msg tools
Ok, I played my first two games last night and I was wondering if the Lobster license is the most powerful... I mean, it gives you at least one card EACH turn... you only need a captain and... you have a free card!

In our two games everyone wanted to buy the Lobster license!

Has anyone the same impression?

Or maybe it's just the fact we don't know well the game yet?

Anyway, we enjoyed the game. A good strategic filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brahan
United States
North Sutton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I think that the more you play this game, the more you will convince yourself that there really isn't any license that is too powerful and will guarantee a win. I won with lobster recently, but my son immediately won right after with a processing license combined with a couple of shrimp licenses. You will find that all licenses, if used properly, can yield a win.

If you read other posts / comments, you will see claims that a Processing License is too powerful. My guess is that over time we'll have posts just like this about all the licenses!

Keep playing. I recommend playing three or four times in a row and force yourself to try different strategies. Pretty soon, I think you will find that there are many paths to victory.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said. Card draw is important (Lobster, Cod, Tuna); Cash flow is important (Shrimp, Processing Vessel), VPs are important (Fisherman's Pub, King Crab, promos); It all depends on what licenses come out and how the other players value them. Like most bididng games, it is up to the PLAYERS to correctly value the items for bid (licenses)-e.g. if you think Lobster is uber-powerful, then either snag it or make the OTHER guy over-pay for it to bring it back into line (since overpaying means turning in more boat cards or processed crates for cash).

Have fun exploring different strategies. Right now, I've been favoring Lobster and Cod to make the launch/captain phase more productive (yeah, that's card draw). I tend to bid up (but not take) a processing vessel, taking one once I start maxing out my boat capacity (e.g. once multiple boats start hitting 4 fish capacity).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come to the conclusion that the most powerful license is the one the other players are currently beating me with. Still working on a solution....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.