Subject: Brits expansion, starter for 2 or 4? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With The Causeway on hold for now and the Brits in the queue, will this be a 2 player starter or a 4 player starter, like Casueway is intended? Do you expect the expansion and 3D terrain to follow closely (2-3 months after)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are discussing that internally right now.

We believe that a starter set should be about the size of Day of Days. The $90 price point is approachable for the value in the game. At this time we are leaning toward that approach.

We are always willing to hear from the fans, so please let us know what you would like to see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinweasel 2
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first version of Day of Days, but saw the new box at a shop in Germany yesterday (cost about 125 Euros, by the way). Seemed fine to me with the 10 miniatures included. For new players, 125 Euros is already a league of its own as far as price is concerned. I don't think that having a Starter that is even more expensive would be a wise move to attract new players. I think the size and scope of the new Day of Days should be fine.

Do you still send out the extra figures and slim borders to people with the old Day of Days who order new stuff at your website? Thinking about what to get (and when...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two (I feel) biggest deterrents to the Day of Days box was that it was pricy and that it was a small(ish) map that made most games dissolve into hand to hand combat, thus you did not get a good *feel* for how SMG will play.

The price point I agree with as I think you get a lot for your money, but for the average person looking to check out a new game(that they may not like) I think $100 is enough to give pause. Nothing to be done here.

However, what if the maps were more rectangle? The DoD maps were what? 4 X 6 grids? How about 3 X 8 grid maps? You would lose some flanking ability but you would gain depth and thus more easily see the Hide/Look/Shoot mechanic. Thoughts?

-Jeff M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:
We believe that a starter set should be about the size of Day of Days. The $90 price point is approachable for the value in the game.
$90 is great bang for your buck considering the quality of the components. I realize this is apples and oranges, but this price point equals anything Fantasy Flight puts out in a coffin box of plastic.

Where a starter set really shines in terms of value however comes down to the quality and quantity of its scenarios. The design of the scenarios has to showcase and thus encourage different aspects of tactical gameplay, so I agree with what has been said above regarding how the shape of the map can greatly influence the nature of the tactical experience.

Play balancing new maps is a time consuming task that I personally do not have the luxury for. This is exactly why it is so appreciated when the game publisher has already done this right out of the box. I believe this is the difference between a great game and a magnificent game and that true variety of experience begins with the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I believe that there is a place for a 4 player starter, I would have to agree the the price tag also has to motivate the buyer. Keeping the "foot in the door" at around $90, makes a lot of sense. That being said, I also think that keeping the future Causeway release as a 4 player introduction, would also make sense.
I'm also curious, when we get to that point, how other nationalities will be introduced. Through starter sets or expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see future nationalities presented in an expansion format. It could include 4 or 5 guys and a few map pieces with a story and missions. Kind of like half of a starter set.

-Jeff M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanomag wrote:
The two (I feel) biggest deterrents to the Day of Days box was that it was pricy and that it was a small(ish) map that made most games dissolve into hand to hand combat, thus you did not get a good *feel* for how SMG will play.

The price point I agree with as I think you get a lot for your money, but for the average person looking to check out a new game(that they may not like) I think $100 is enough to give pause. Nothing to be done here.

However, what if the maps were more rectangle? The DoD maps were what? 4 X 6 grids? How about 3 X 8 grid maps? You would lose some flanking ability but you would gain depth and thus more easily see the Hide/Look/Shoot mechanic. Thoughts?

-Jeff M

^^^ pretty much this.
$100...ouch but okay. Some fine board games are worth that much. But not being able to use the games mechanics for its intended purposes after spending that much. Thats what i think is BS. Glad the starter kit now has 10 models instead of 8. But the small maps dont help deliver the gameplay, infact they hinder it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,
That was kind of my view too. Just enough figs to cover the new nationality and what was necessary for the story deck. Keep price reasonable while expanding the game/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Belli
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dupre wrote:
I have the first version of Day of Days, but saw the new box at a shop in Germany yesterday (cost about 125 Euros, by the way). Seemed fine to me with the 10 miniatures included. For new players, 125 Euros is already a league of its own as far as price is concerned. I don't think that having a Starter that is even more expensive would be a wise move to attract new players. I think the size and scope of the new Day of Days should be fine.

Do you still send out the extra figures and slim borders to people with the old Day of Days who order new stuff at your website? Thinking about what to get (and when...).

If you have 10 figures in your base game you have the latest edition with all the latest borders and soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinweasel 2
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you have 10 figures in your base game you have the latest edition with all the latest borders and soldiers.

I know. I have the old version with 8 figures, though. I just looked at the new version in a FLGS to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.