Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Desperate Gods digital board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad S
msg tools
I came across a free PC game called Desperate Gods, made by the people who are making the game Overgrowth.
http://blog.wolfire.com/2012/11/Announcing-Desperate-Gods

I haven't had the chance to play it myself. There are some interesting systems in the game, like having to move pieces. It could be an interesting way of doing computer board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just going to post this. You forgot to mention it's nearly open source, you only have to ask the creator for permission, which means people would be able to use this engine for their own boardgames and adaptations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Fischer
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From a technical standpoint, it's quite amazing what Wolfire manages to do in just one week. Guess the technical details are still the biggest strength of Overgrowth, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Meindersee II
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing. Very innovate. +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering why something like this doesn't immediately make front-page news, after all this could be used as a much better-looking alternative to Vassal, etc. depending on how hard it actually is to implement a different game for this engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
I'm wondering why something like this doesn't immediately make front-page news, after all this could be used as a much better-looking alternative to Vassal, etc. depending on how hard it actually is to implement a different game for this engine.

There is already a much better-looking alternative to Vassal which makes it very easy to create your own digital boardgames (no scripting, programing, or XML editing involved). But it wasn't front page news, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad S
msg tools
Tzer wrote:
I was just going to post this. You forgot to mention it's nearly open source, you only have to ask the creator for permission, which means people would be able to use this engine for their own boardgames and adaptations.

Judging from the file names, it appears to be made with Unity, and the open source aspect in the files they made. One problem I could see is the shadows implies that this might have been made with Unity Pro, which is like £1000. Not a problem if you can use the files on the free version, but if you need the pro version to use them, it's going to knock out alot of options.

In either case, I've used Unity before. I'm not sure how easy it would be to scan in a new board and go.

All of this assumes it is using Unity. It might not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deschain Delgado
Australia
flag msg tools
More people need to see this. What a fantastic system and very clean and beautiful. There is a lot of potential here.
Now if only I knew how to code and stuff ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This demo is shiny, yes, but:

* Physics for the playing pieces gives up one of the major advantages of playing electronically. Why replicate the ability to accidentally knock over stacks of pieces with the dice?

* There's no license for the code which let's you do anything useful with it. Sure, you can look at it, but you can't distribute any modifications you make. I doubt the developers would release the code under, say, the GPL if I contacted them like they request.

* The demo depends on Unity, which isn't open-source. Suppose someone builds a more general system around this. What will you and the community which would arise do when there are no more releases of Unity, or when there are no more releases for the platforms you'd like to support? (This happens all the time in the commercial software world, due to changing business plans or ceasing operations.) It's foolish to build such as system on top of software which could suddenly become unavailable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heruca wrote:
There is already a much better-looking alternative to Vassal which makes it very easy to create your own digital boardgames (no scripting, programing, or XML editing involved). But it wasn't front page news, either.

Sometime in 2013, VASSAL 4 will also be a much better looking alternative to the current version of VASSAL. We're already headed in the direction of the DG demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad S
msg tools
uckelman wrote:

* The demo depends on Unity, which isn't open-source. Suppose someone builds a more general system around this. What will you and the community which would arise do when there are no more releases of Unity, or when there are no more releases for the platforms you'd like to support? (This happens all the time in the commercial software world, due to changing business plans or ceasing operations.) It's foolish to build such as system on top of software which could suddenly become unavailable.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's foolish. It was made in a week, (well, 8-9 days) and it's not as if you would wake up one day and that Unity and everything made with it has vanished from all computers.

If the company that made Unity disappeared tomorrow, and Unity didn't work on the next batch of operating systems, it would still take months before it would start be an issue.

It's fair to assume that whoever wanted this kind of game could either make one just as quick on a new engine like UE3/4 or take a few months to make an engine or adapt an open source one, assuming it hasn't already been made obsolete by the new Vassel or whatever.

Unrelated. There is a video about the making of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreXT wrote:
uckelman wrote:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's foolish. It was made in a week, (well, 8-9 days) and it's not as if you would wake up one day and that Unity and everything made with it has vanished from all computers.

If the company that made Unity disappeared tomorrow, and Unity didn't work on the next batch of operating systems, it would still take months before it would start be an issue.

I'm not saying the demise of Unity (or a change of license) would be an immediate problem. (Well, actually, it could be, if a serious bug were to be found in Unity...) That doesn't mean it's not a problem---but I'm thinking of a much more featureful system that someone might build on Unity, not of this demo.

Quote:
It's fair to assume that whoever wanted this kind of game could either make one just as quick on a new engine like UE3/4 or take a few months to make an engine or adapt an open source one, assuming it hasn't already been made obsolete by the new Vassel or whatever.

What was made in a week here is a demo, not a system that's feature complete. I got the V4 demo to a similar state with two weeks of work by myself. But at the two week mark, neither demo has/had support for logging, PBEM, piece ownership, hidden information, dice other than d6's, grids, a game server, persistence of games online, scripting, documentation, a module editor, module converters for other formats, and many other things. That cannot all be done in a week or two. Doing these things right, so that you don't end up with an unmaintainable or buggy system, takes planning and time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.