Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to know if anyone knows of a program or even just an equation that I can use to make a 'power ranking' within my gaming groups. I had this idea of tracking every game I have played (starting since 10/30/12). I have kept track of all the games and what places everybody got. I have ranked by win percentage -- but in reality it's kind of a terrible way to rank effectiveness [it's pretty good, but I want something more advance; ESPECIALLY taking into account high places].

Example = someone who gets 2nd place all 3 games (4 player game) should have a better ranking then someone who wins 1 game and places 4th in the other two games.

I've decided that every game will be even so 1 game of liar's dice (5-10 mins) is essentially as 1 game of Agricola (20-30mins/person). Therefore the only factors are number of people and where ever they place.

Any ideas how I can make it as fair as possible?
- Games vary between 2, 3, 4, or even 5 people
- I need it to take into account different places
- Players may tie for certain places
- Team play counts as individual stats
- Co-op games or robot/board players can place too

As far as being technical, I'm not too fluent with stats/excel -- but I'm good with numbers so I can probably understand most operations or how to use excel more than it's basic functions. I'm really looking for ideas. Anything I can think of seems to have some bias (usually with 2 player games).

Any suggestions would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be neat if you also tracked this information by mechanic systems as well... like a worker placement game vs. Area control war game just as an example.

It would be a way to see which people do better among different types of game mechanics. One person might place in the 1 or 2 slot in war games but be last in worker placement games, or you could also use the blanket terms of Ameritrash and Eurogame as broad categories for keeping statistics as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would REALLY love to be very detailed. In fact, it doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to do b/c you can do it per game (or type).

At first, I was just interested to see which players fared better overall. But I'd love to get very detailed. Likewise, I'd love have the history of certain games [granted I could keep the records via my Plays section, but I like my personal Geeklist]. Eventually, I can use this to play games I haven't in awhile or realize that certain games just need to go.

Hopefully some people can give me ideas -- SOMEONE has to already be doing this. Or at least pool some ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dianneazuma54 wrote:
Can someone please recommend great web links about Chennai?

computer training videos

??? Spam ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
KingD21 wrote:
dianneazuma54 wrote:
Can someone please recommend great web links about Chennai?

computer training videos

??? Spam ???

Yeah. All over the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do a ELO system. Each individual has a personal rating. Winning vs. people with a higher rating results in big rating jumps, and winning vs. people with a lower rating results in small rating jumps.

Here's the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

You could boil it down to a simpler formula too:

new_rating = old_rating + (win_or_loss)*max[min[(rating_difference)^(change_rate),max_change], min_change]

Initialize everyone with the same rating. Each time someone completes a game, compare their old rating with the other players' old ratings (maybe take the average if it was a multiplayer game?)

win_or_loss would be a 1 if a win or a -1 if a loss (only used to decide whether the player should gain or lose rating, i.e. +-)
rating_difference is the absolute value of the difference of the players' old ratings
max_change and min_change are hard caps on the rating change
change_rate is a parameter you can tune to your liking. You could also implement it as a constant (or whatever) instead of an exponential

This model assumes all games are equal; beating someone who is really lucky at LCR could be just as good as beating the world's best Go player. You could mitigate this by trying to separate games into classes (maybe Heavy Euros, etc). Separation by game would probably be too much unless you're group plays the same games constantly.

You can get more technical and add a lot of the things you've been talking about as well, but bringing in parameters like 2nd/3rd place, etc introduces speculation since you need to map the placing in all given games to one common axis (i.e. you need to come up with some method to relate being 2nd in Agricola with being 2nd in Cosmic Encounter, most likely by assigning some point value or applying some different change rate when computing the new ratings)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught of something like that -- an ELO system -- didn't know how to make that multiplayer game friendly.

Well maybe I could use a different coefficient [if that's the right term] for the (win_or_loss) section:
1st place = (+1)
2nd place = (+0.5)
3rd place = (-0.5)
4th place = (-1)
**Not too sure what type of factors I'd use if it's an odd number of players b/c I really can't use 0**

Maybe it's something I could tinker with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.