United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

(cross-posted from Consimworld)

The playtesting is going well. We have a strong team assembled. So far the focus has been mainly on the system itself. I'm working on the small number of spots where it shows some strain and gathering some good feedback and ideas from the players. These are finer details, not game breaking problems. We're making good progress on working them out.

I have a face to face playtest of my own scheduled for day after Thanksgiving. We'll probably play the two armor tutorial scenarios, then launch into the full Cristot scenario if we still have time.

Below: Playtest game in progress using the Zun Tzu module by Dave Dietch. Playtest map art by Antonio Pinar, playtest counters by Mark Mokszycki. Please note that none of the art is final! The graphics shown are for playtesting purposes only.

We've also made great progress with some game aids - a flow chart and a couple articles on rules and strategies. I'm still polishing them up and will most likely post them up in the header once ready.

We've been working on revamping the map elevation data so that it's more accurate than on the previous playtest maps. My thanks to Broadsword for all the help on this!

Map artist Mark Mahaffey will begin working on the final version of the map in the near future, after we decide on some last minute details involving slope hexsides and strongpoint hexes. fyi, the German player will begin many scenarios (including the campaign game) with a limited number of German Strongpoint markers which can be placed as he chooses during setup. Other strongpoint hexes (walled chateaus etc.) will be printed right on the map.

And last but certainly not least, we've been spending a lot of time on the rule book and on the scenarios themselves (playbook). I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. As it was with Red Winter, I won't see this thing released until I feel it's fully polished. It's getting there.

Here's a quote from playtester Jim F. (who doesn't have a CSW account). I'm cross-posting with his permission:

Quote:
This is a great game btw. I am still digesting the ftf I had on Friday but already the subtleties of the rules are becoming apparent and it really does reflect the peculiarities of this phase of the campaign. My opponent (who won) said he just did what he thought he should do tactically and the rules helped it pay off. I completely agreed with him.

My sincere thanks to everyone who's been helping out! And if you're still on the fence about playtesting, please climb down and send me an email. We can still use a few more people.

If you have questions about the game or you'd like to help out with playtesing, please contact me via BGG or my personal email at duckweedseattle@yahoo.com

You can find more info on the game here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?50@741.PQqwa4zqVmP.758@.1dd...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah see I like the six pounder graphic! The Mgs and morter should be more to scale and not overlapping. And numbers noted on the guns, I think that's brilliant.

Is number of infantry a good idea or not? Before seeing the tank notation I'd have said not but its very evocative of visualising the battle.

Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Dave, but all the art above is purely for playtesting purposes. The plan is to have Charlie Kibler, who did the excellent counter art for Red Winter, work his magic on these counters as well. So he'll be starting over from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw, I'm not sure yet if the number of weapons ("4 x Centaur IV" etc.) will go on the final counters or not. It might make more sense to put it in the OOB data in the playbook. The text for that is really tiny on the counters, and it makes them look a bit cluttered. And it's not vital to game play. I included it on the playtest counters because it made it easier for me to visualize the size of the units and that helped with writing the flavor text and historical notes for each scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats just it though..it helps visualize the size of the units! Me personally I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll count that as one vote for leaving it on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for leaving the number of men or vehicles on the counters. Helps with immersion and visualization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote to remove any unneeded clutter from the counters. It would be super easy to have a half page in the booklet somewhere (maybe at the back of the playbook or rulebook) with this info.

The less text on the markers, the better, in my opinion.

In any case, my copy is ordered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming in, Eric. Currently this info is indeed included in the OOB in the playbook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.