Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
(or at least I consider it to be so)
Normally the board is set up with walls all around the edge of the board. If you find RR to be too simple and don't want to play with multiple targets at once, I suggest rotating all parts 180 degrees - so that the walls divide the playing field in 4 equal parts and form a cross. Then, when a robot reaches the edge of the board, it reappears in the same row/column on the other side of the board and continues moving as if nothing happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
An Asteroid video game variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not completely sure, but it seems that the board in this case would be "the same", only changing the position. I mean:

AB
CD

If the robot goes from D to C through the right, so you could just set it DC instead of CD (going back to "normal" game). If this is right, this variant would be only an overcomplication, like "play the game looking to the board through a mirror".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not seeing how this changes the game in any substantive way. Isn't it like saying "rotate the chess board 180 degrees so your pieces start close to your opponent" is a "chess variant"? But it's the same game, just looked at differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it is just placing the parts differently. But actually playing it feels much, much different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't tried the "wrap around" variant, but we have turned two boards so their walls are adjacent. The outside edges then become walls. We weren't thrilled with it. We found it more annoying than challenging.

The variant we use quite a bit is to offset the boards. Lay out the four boards as usual, then slide two of them 1, 2, even 5 or 6 squares in one direction. It creates more corners and cuts down on the number of direct routes from one side of the board to another.

We've also done a "windmill" effect by leaving a 1x1, 2x2 or even 3x3 hole in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.