Subject: Homemade multi-suit decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
This has been kicking around in my head for a while. Some ideas for using multiple sets of standard playing cards and some permanent markers for making multi-suited decks.

4x4x4 deck:
Take 4 sets of A, 2, 3, 4 of each suit. Mark each set with a different green symbol (circle, star, arrow, triangle)

3x8x3 deck:

Take 3 sets of A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 of each suit. Mark each set with a different green symbol (circle, star, arrow)

3x3x3x3 deck:

Take 3 Sets of A, 2, 3 of each suit. Mark each set with a different green symbol (circles, stars, arrows). Make three such 3x3x3 sets. Take each 3x3x3 set and mark each with a different blue or purple symbol (crescent, horseshoe, snowflake)

Has anyone proposed anything like this before? Of course, this is just a proposal for making decks. The real creativity will come from those who propose games for these decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in essence, each card will have 2 suits?

The Decktet is a 36-card deck of cards in 6 suits. Each suit has 10 cards, with most cards having 2 suits.

You may try exploring that and seeing what you think, and then trying out your deck ideas based on what you find works, or doesn't, with the decktet.

Edited for a myriad number of typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rainbow Deck is an attempt to do this. It has gone through several iterations, but in the end what matters is the games, and there are no compelling games that use it - most of the games are just ports of games from other decks. As a deck, I think it is significantly less interesting than the Decktet, which is interesting to games designers precisely because the deck has odd characteristics (different numbers of suits on cards, not all combinations present, etc.). That is why we see lots of new games for the decktet, not just ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I looked at the rainbow deck and it's not exactly what I had in mind. Rainbow deck cards have too much information for my taste and there's no clear three- or four-dimensional organization. Decktet is closer but is also only 36 cards which seems small. And I can see how the asymmetries of the Decktet could influence game design. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhowe wrote:
Decktet is closer but is also only 36 cards which seems small.

Small is good. Small keeps you focused. Small makes you think. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.