Popular Tags: [View All]
Across the Board
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I didn't know what forum would best fit this, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

Anyway, Across the Board is looking for a logo. We're getting ready to launch an IndieGoGo campaign in February to raise the funds we need to become and official non-profit organization with tax exemption, and I've got just about everything is place except a logo that really defines us!

Right now we're just using some stock photography of a Catan board on acrossboard.org, but we'd really like something that's really ourss.

What better place to look than the gaming community, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing that comes to mind:

A table with a large die (dice) on it, that has a sail like a ship, moving across the table.

Should be quite simple to draw up..

Edit: This is from the mentioned hp's about section (maybe add it in OP):

"About
Located in Simsbury, Connecticut, Across the Board is dedicated to providing opportunities for building social communication skills through use of table top games. We strive to provide an accepting environment for children to explore new games and use those games as tools to strengthen social communication skills. This is an opportunity for children to strengthen areas of weakness, build on their strengths, and build self confidence enabling them to be more successful in a social setting."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This 'about' was badly needed. Without it, my earlier reaction was 'who is this jerk and why is he trying to rip us off by getting us to do a logo for his game that does god only knows -- for free it seems'.

Thank you Mads.

I'm still a little blurry on what it is that Across the Board does, but at least I know why it is relevant to here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something like two hands reaching across a game board to make a handshake?

Or two people sitting across from each other with conversation bubbles...Person 1: "Across", Person 2: "The Board"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest hiring an artist to design one - it's not that expensive and you'll be far happier with the results (depending on the artist, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah hire an designer.
But we need more info to come up with an idea which encapsulates your mission statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you need a new name altogether, because there are a few "Across the Board"'s already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin A
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a little bit of time messing with a logo. Since the organization works with kids through gaming I made a meeple-like figure to use as a graphic element. Anyone can see the human form, gamers will recognize its similarity to game markers.

I did some iterations with multiple meeple-esque forms but preferred the simplicity of a single form.

A second version tries to give the figure a bit of life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Across the Board
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Kevin,

That's actually pretty awesome. Very simple and clean!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Respectfully, I don't think a meeple is the way you want to go. Especially not a solitary meeple as the sole motif. Main reasons are:

• A meeple means nothing to someone who doesn't play games already

• It says nothing about the community and communication aspect of the mission statement

• Within the boardgame industry, meeples are a generic, overused and unimaginative graphic device.

If you want a professional logo, you need to hire a good designer who will take the time to investigate and understand what your aims are and who your target audience is, and has the skill and experience to produce an effective result.

Remember that your logo will often be the very first impression that a person gets of your organisation. It is important that it communicates with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.