Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your on the fence about this one, as I was/am, you may want to check out FFG's website fast! They have it on sale for $20 which is a good price for a FFG big box and worth a try. That's $5/player with 4 at the table. Look at it this way, cheaper than going to a movie and you get to keep it for more than 1 play.

Edit: Didn't include shipping, but still!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guaranteed to have hours of fun trying to figure out how to house rule it into a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Guaranteed to have hours of fun trying to figure out how to house rule it into a fun game.

Who needs a geekbuddy review when FFG tells you what their crap is every year! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Haha! Fair enough. Nothing new though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Political Hack
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
curtc wrote:

Who needs a geekbuddy review when FFG tells you what their crap is every year! :-)

Disagree; just because something didn't sell well doesn't always mean it's a) a bad game or b) not a fun game. They dumped Tribune: Primus Inter Pares in the sale last year and my gaming group has gotten a LOT of plays out of that. Sometimes the FFG sale has some great values.

At $20, this was a reasonable risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlease1 wrote:
out4blood wrote:
curtc wrote:

Disagree; just because something didn't sell well doesn't always mean it's a) a bad game or b) not a fun game.

You're obviously not aware of the context behind my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlease1 wrote:
just because something didn't sell well doesn't always mean it's a) a bad game or b) not a fun game.

It doesn't mean that it is a bad game, but it doesn't mean that it isn't a bad game either. But in this case, it really is a bad game. Infuriatingly so, given that it some good ideas and great potential, but just didn't get developed into a fully working game. Hence my comment about "hours of fun trying to figure out how to house rule it into a fun game". Read the various forum threads for details.

out4blood wrote:

You're never going to forget that, are you? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
out4blood wrote:
jmlease1 wrote:
out4blood wrote:
curtc wrote:

Disagree; just because something didn't sell well doesn't always mean it's a) a bad game or b) not a fun game.

I'll bite. What's the context?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
out4blood wrote:

I'll bite. What's the context?

This. And then this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the FFG sale is a prelude to a second edition? I can hope right? Came here looking for an excuse to pick this one up. Looks like I got the opposite. Oh well, thanks for the insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyys wrote:
Maybe the FFG sale is a prelude to a second edition? I can hope right?

Generally there are no second editions to first editions that tanked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I also disagree that a low price point or fire sale on a game does not mean it is bad. Tannhauser and Wings of War are on sale and I don't find them to be bad games either. Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan went on fire sale pretty quick too and feel that it's a fine game.

Ventura does have it's share of issues but I still like the game. I think the best variant I've seen is the hidden armies one. Eliminates the AP issue and hard calculations of what beats what and moves the game along. We also experimented with making it so you could not buy the winning VPs- you have to earn the final VPs by killing an army, owning a papal state or winning by sacking an opponent's city.

This isn't the first game we've had to house rule internally to fit our group. I'm sure it won't be the last. For $20, Ventura is a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about at $37? That's what it's really going to cost me after tax and shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
I also disagree that a low price point or fire sale on a game does not mean it is bad.

I think you meant you agree.

Ventura does have it's share of issues but I still like the game.

But not enough to play anymore.

I think the best variant I've seen is the hidden armies one. Eliminates the AP issue and hard calculations of what beats what and moves the game along.

Have you actually tried it? It doesn't work. You need to know the army composition to know how it can move. Unless you're happy just trusting everyone to move correctly. I don't like that, because many people make mistakes, even honest ones. And it doesn't really eliminate the (time from) AP. It simply replaces it with an equal amount of postulating.

This isn't the first game we've had to house rule internally to fit our group.

If you settle on a set of rules and playtest it 2 or three times with good results (same players), please post the details. But "face down armies" and "always have at least one captain available" aren't enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.