17 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving Through Obsticles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
Me and my buddy are right now playing a game and it's the first time we're using the asteroid tokens. The rules on pg. 20 says:

"When a ship executes a maneuver in which either the maneuver template or the ship's base physically overlaps an obstacle token, follow these steps:

1. Execute the maneuver as normal, but skip the "Perform Action" step.

2. The player rolls one attack die. The ship then suffers any damage or critical damage rolled."

My question is what happens if your ship begins it's movement phase on the token? Seeing as how you just did this procedure when you got there last turn, it makes sense to me that you wouldn't have to do it again unless you moved off the one token and onto a second one... but the way the the rules are worded it could be interpreted that, being as how you are indeed executing a maneuver which covers the obstacle token, you have to do a 'double jeopardy' roll....

How do you guys understand this to be played?

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karry Lim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If during your movement and the maneuver template touches 2 obstacles is still counted as one obstacle and you will only roll a die.

Moving out from an obstacle token does not required you to roll a damage die but after moving out from a previous and landed on another obstacle, then you will need to roll a damage die.

Obstacle damage only occurred when a maneuver template directly overlaps an obstacle (will moving through it as well) or you ship base directly lands on top of an obstacle.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ixamos wrote:
If during your movement and the maneuver template touches 2 obstacles is still counted as one obstacle and you will only roll a die.

Moving out from an obstacle token does not required you to roll a damage die but after moving out from a previous and landed on another obstacle, then you will need to roll a damage die.

Obstacle damage only occurred when a maneuver template directly overlaps an obstacle (will moving through it as well) or you ship base directly lands on top of an obstacle.

Hope this helps

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
That DOES help! Thanks a bundle!

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that is correct. If on turn 1 you ended up entering one side of a big asteroid, on turn 2 you will most likely have your maneuver template overlap that asteroid in order to move out of it, which would cause you to again lose your action and possibly suffer 1 damage. The only case in which you would not suffer from "double jeopardy" is if on turn 1 your ship's front edge is already out of the obstacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
They actually covered that in the FAQ Thiago
Quote:

Q: If a ship’s base overlaps an obstacle
during the previous round, is that ship
automatically considered overlapping the
same obstacle during the next round?
A: No. The ship does not move through or overlap that
same obstacle unless the maneuver template it is
using or its base after executing the maneuver
overlap that obstacle again during the next round.
Emphasis theirs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Thoras! I had tried to find that in the FAQ but I guess I must've missed it.

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoras wrote:
They actually covered that in the FAQ Thiago

Thanks, I saw that, but it still seems to indicate that the ship will overlap the obstacle if it has to cross it on the next round:

"...unless the maneuver template it is using ... overlap that obstacle again during the next round"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
It could be, except your skipping the most important words for the clarification in your quote. It emphasizes that unless the situation is present after the maneuver has been executed (not before and not during, only after), your safe and don't suffer any of the affects again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "after" only refers to the part "or its base after executing the maneuver". Because, if you think about it, it's completely impossible to ever have the maneuver template overlap anything AFTER executing the maneuver. After the maneuver has been executed, the template should have been completely removed from the board. Why would they say that a ship overlaps an obstacle if the maneuver template overlaps it after the maneuver, when such a thing can never happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Good point, I could see that as the proper way to look at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that you do not have a penality for moving out of the obstacle, but if you re-enter the obstacle in the same round, then yes, you do get the penality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that that FAQ was worded very poorly, and the case is that it doesn't hinder you in any way to move out of an obstacle, overlapping it on your way out, as long as you don't end your maneuver with your ship on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
My understanding is that that FAQ was worded very poorly, and the case is that it doesn't hinder you in any way to move out of an obstacle, overlapping it on your way out, as long as you don't end your maneuver with your ship on it.

I think the plain English reading of the FAQ makes it clear that a ship will be affected twice if, indeed, the maneuver template overlaps the same asteroid again.

If your interpretation is correct, then this would truly be the worst constructed sentence in history. It could be clearer though.

X-Wing FAQ wrote:

It's important to consider the answer in the context of the question. Is it automatic that it's overlapping again? No.

The new piece of information added here that isn't in the core rulebook is this: if a ship starts its turn partially overlapping an asteroid, but with the space between its front guides completely clear of that asteroid (along with the whole of the chosen maneuver template), then it is not considered to be overlapping during that turn.

I think it would have been clearer if they just gave us that information in a declarative sentence instead of framing it as a question, but they chose a faux Q&A format, so there we go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the final consensus on this rule?

If, on turn "X", I end up on an asteroid, and I am over lapping it; then on turn "X+1" my template goes over part of the asteroid but final placement of my ship is not on the asteroid, do I need to...

1. Roll for damage again?
2. Loss my action, even though I am no longer on the asteroid?
3. Am I still unelligable to attack?

My understanding is that it is "no" on all three counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
poboxgarret wrote:
What is the final consensus on this rule?

If, on turn "X", I end up on an asteroid, and I am over lapping it; then on turn "X+1" my template goes over part of the asteroid but final placement of my ship is not on the asteroid, do I need to...

1. Roll for damage again?
2. Loss my action, even though I am no longer on the asteroid?
3. Am I still unelligable to attack?

My understanding is that it is "no" on all three counts.

Based on this entry from the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:

1 and 2 are yes but 3 is no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
This was repeatedly clarified at our Kessel Run event tonight...

If you end your turn overlapping an asteroid, it only effects your next turn if your maneuver template touches the asteroid again. If on your next turn the front of your base is off the asteroid, allowing you to place your template without touching the asteroid again, then you're fine.

Edit: meant to say Mundane is correct above, Yes, yes and no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.